COVID-19 and Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2013
Just because I work for large pharma and I know how much we’ve been preparing for a pandemic, I‘m starting to wonder if this outbreak will affect HS seasons? DD’s team is slated to go to Florida in 2 weeks and we‘re wondering if they will cancel. We already know a few local teams who did cancel their spring break training trips.

What has been happening, if anything, in your areas?

Apr 28, 2014
I think our HS trip will be canceled.
In the next few weeks I think the Olympics will be either postponed or canceled. When that happens I think you will see many more sports cancellations.
Kean college canceled their trips to Florida

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why is this reaction happening
with covid-corona?
(*Just Asking...not being snarky)
When regular influenza has these #'s in U.S.
CDC in Feb 2020 Reported atleast 12,000 deaths in U.S. from Oct 2019 to Feb 2020
*see images below.

This past week a dad brought his dd to a lesson.
Walked up and said
"Just want you to know daughter had flu this week. She was throwing up for a couple days but she went to school yesterday and today. My son has it and I think I have it now." .... as he was handing me his payment for the month.

What??!!!!!!.... stepped back from him, he did look yucky.
He said "i'm going to the car, be back end of lesson"
I said no stay there, will walk your dd back after lesson.
Kid proceeded to rub her nose throughout the lesson.
Rub. Handle sb. Rub. Handle sb.

*At least a couple times a year I sanitize all my equipment including all of the softballs, buckets~ everything. So that's what I did the following day.

Common sense could really help!!!!
IMO the media, news, hype'sters
should have started
A COMMON SENSE CAMPAIGN !

" the flu season" happens every year!

Screenshot_2020-03-07-06-37-50-1.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-07-07-00-33-1-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-07-07-00-33-1-1.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm seeing lots of overreaction bordering on hysteria. I'm old enough to know these virus scares happen every few years. This one isn't by any stretch the most dangerous (see Ebola, Sars, Mers), but the media reports on it as if it's creating zombies. Corona is a respiratory virus similar to what we see every year that kills 10s of thousands in the U.S. alone. The difference is that it we don't have any specific immunity or vaccine and it APPEARS to have a greater mortality rate. Don't believe the 3% number you see in the media...it's likely much lower, especially for younger healthy people. The denominator in that equation is only reported cases, and the actual number of infections is likely several times higher, but they were mild or thought to be something else.

At some point, we're all going to have to get a grip and move on with life. It will be around, and some or even most of us will get it. The vast majority will recover without ever seeing a doctor.

Apr 1, 2017
Overreaction or not, I do think it is likely to impact many seasons. Might not cancel entire seasons, but individual games when participating schools have “outbreaks”. No adminstrators are going to want to be the one that said “it’s no big deal”, and then have students/teachers get really sick.

be interesting to see how things look in a couple more weeks

Nov 15, 2019
Haven't heard anything from the high schools yet but here is what Indiana USSSA put out:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-163025.png
    Screenshot_20200307-163025.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member