COVID-19 and Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2014
The Arnold Sports & Fitness Festival was canceled at the last minute in Columbus, OH last week. Cost the city at least $50 million in economic activity.

People are saying this is just like the flu, but the reality is that it isn't just like the flu. There's no vaccine for this, and if the mortality rate is anywhere close to 3% then this is far more dangerous than the flu which has about a 0.1% mortality rate.

Having said that, I do agree that we, as a society, need to be vigilant both in precautions but also in not over-reacting to the situation.

Apr 28, 2014
The problem with this is that 1) there's no cure at all 2) it lives outside the body for long time and 3) because of that it's every easily transmitable.

It's not the media creating those words, it's the facts. China has no interest in our media, and they've closed down large sections of the country and their economy to deal with it. China has a different situation than here because the air quality in cities creates respiratory problems that make the disease more effective, because it's mostly an upper respiratory ailment.

That said, it's mostly an inconvience if you're healthy and young. But not everyone is, and it could be cataclysmic to situations where there are older people with breathing problems, or sick people with breathing problems. Because they have to way of curing it. This isn't like ebola, with people bleeding from their eyelids, but it it were to spread in the US, it could kill a lot of old and sick people. That's not a good thing. And because we can't control who interacts with who, those folks could end up dead because someone somewhere carried it to them.

And as it survives and flourishes, it can mutate because that's what viruses do. If it does that and starts to build without the body of a young person being able to stave it off, it could turn into something as bad or worse than the flu. Again, we have no cure for it.

So it's not hyperbole, but it's also not Contagion. I think we're seeing a lot of over-reaction, but that's mostly been dictated by how seriously China has been taking it once the outbreak looked significant.
China's health care system is also very under funded and archaic compared to that of the US. The mortality rate in China is much higher that what we would expect in the US.
The media is in the business of sensationalism so they must scare their viewers.
Be safe, make good decisions and wash your hands,

Jul 1, 2019
Not saying it doesn’t happen, just that I haven’t experienced it with my kids’ schools.
My kids schools got hit pretty hard this year. Both kids said there were around 7-8 kids from their classes missing each day for a week and a half approx. Normally it was 2-4 days per kid. This is a little worse than we normally see. However, a neighboring school closed for a week (this was about 2 weeks ago) due to an outbreak of flu and strep, officials said they had up to 40-45% of their students out. They had the school cleaned/sanitized or whatever it is that they do.

That was actually the first time I'd heard of it too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's college team had a double header yesterday. Facilities were loaded with hand sanitizer stations. On field, the only real change I saw was after the game. Teams shared elbow bumps instead of high fives. They are scheduled for their Florida trip next week. So far no changes to that, but it could always change.

Personally I am trying to avoid crowds as much as possible, and spend even more time alone. As an introvert/anti-social, that hasn't been much of a problem ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
60 minutes had a good report last night.
The head white house Dr. Medical guy who has been there with many past presidents
Since 1984
was interviewed.
Apparantly he is well known in the world and the "go to guy".
Dr. Anthony Fauci and
Chief Medical Correspodant
Dr. Jonathan LaPook
(See link below detailed interviews)

He said 80% will have mild reaction.
Also said about elderly and imune issue folks having more risk.
He did say kids handle much better.

There is a vaccine being worked on.
Said could take a year.

60 minutes included in report...
U.S. is the best country in handling and preparedness these situations that are pandemic. Said but no country is a hundred percent able to handle pandemic. Said the U.S. is the most prepared. Also commented that it is unrealistic to quarantine and shut down cities in the United States. Said it is not a feasible solution here.

He also commented limiting airport access from infected area's probably in hindsight one of the best actions taken.

Lasts longer on surfaces than influenza.
And people that have it can be contagious for multiple days BEFOR having any symptoms themselves.

Do our best, is the best we can do!
Sensible and smart!
Clean hands around the world!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
RAD's reporting of 60 Minutes is somewhat incorrect. If anyone wants to read 60 Minutes' own synopsis, here is a link: CBS 60 Minutes

Many people here have knowledge about bunting techniques and first-and-third defenses, but there are few here that have any real knowledge., other than experiential, of infectious diseases.

There are many news sources available to get real information about COVID-19.

There are other forums (such as Reddit or Facebook) if you want to get pseudo-information and wild conspiracy theories.

Otherwise, you might want to check out other news sources...bbc.com is the first that comes to mind.

May 29, 2015
Many people here have knowledge about bunting techniques and first-and-third defenses, but there are few here that have any real knowledge., other than experiential, of infectious diseases.

I watched a pitching video on Youtube, I'm a coach! I read an internet forum, I'm a virologist!

What do you mean "That's not how it works?"

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
60 Minutes is somewhat incorrect. If anyone wants to read 60 Minutes' own synopsis, here is a link: CBS 60 Minutes

There are many news sources available to get real information about COVID-19.

There are other forums (such as Reddit or Facebook) if you want to get pseudo-information and wild conspiracy theories.

Otherwise, you might want to check out other news sources...bbc.com is the first that comes to mind.
Inaccurate ? Explain?
its in the report link...

also I am not a reporter I am simply sharing what I saw on 60 Minutes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1