Youth sports cited as one of major factors in COVID-19 spike in Adams County, IL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
True ... but the “choke points“ are the greater concern, whether we are talking sports complexes or grocery stores.

May 29, 2015
Rich does a a great job on there. Admittedly it is a resource I have not paid enough attention to though. I usually read his stuff whenever I see it in print.

EDIT: just read it and saw the guidelines. Huh. Huh? Huh.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I would love to buy Rich Miller a beer and pick his brain about a hundred topics. I really enjoy that site. Everyone should try to have friends who are way smarter than they are, and since those smart people aren’t going to hang out with me it’s as close as I can get lol!

Feb 3, 2016
This is the 2nd state to blame youth sports and neither one has been able to produce any contact tracing data when ask. I'm thinking youth sports is being used as a scape goat....especially the outdoor ones. The only youth sports spread I've heard in my area has been spread from families that just returned from vacation....let's talk about vacation spread.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So when youth sports is blamed they don't tell you which sports are the major 19 spreaders or could be. As mentioned no results of tracking.

We had a cluster of cases when local traveling Basketball teams went to compete in regions where more Covid was trending. Not fair to allow only certain sports and not others so the peanut butter approach is used and they shut down everyone and everything.

Softball - low transmission, incidental contact. Teams using their ball when on defense/pitching. Spectators can be alone if they want to be.

Basketball - higher transmission rate, everyone touches the same ball. Usually in gymnasium with people in close proximity.

I wouldn't take my team to the hotbed of Covid in my state where the traveling Basketball teams went. Took my team South to another state with low numbers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
Has anyone heard of contract tracing that leads to a softball tournament? DD’s team just finished their shortened season of five tournaments. The first two, everyone was being vigilant about masks and distancing. The last two weeks... not so much. No masks, clusters of families sitting together, etc.

I know the jury is still out, but I felt pretty safe being outside in the sun and even just a slight breeze. I’m still careful to wear a mask and wash my hands after being in any indoor public space. But I’m hopeful that in the absence of any outbreaks related to tournament play that the fall will start to feel like normal and the spring will be full speed ahead (fingers crossed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00