Correcting a hitch in the arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
I can't really get a video, so I'll explain as best I can.

When DD starts the pitch, she brings her arm down and behind like all pitchers. Then when she is supposed to start her forward motion, instead of bringing her arm/hand forward, she brings is out (towards 3rd base) and then forward. This doesn't seems to affect her speed, but I am concerned that it will affect future speed development.

I almost want her to pitch next to a wall, so she can feel it if she bumps it, but I don't want to hurt her.. Yesterday, we had her "feel" her shorts on the way down AND on the way back up. That helped a bit.

Any other ways to fix this?

DD just turned 15 in November, btw.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like the do the arm circle 3 times before releasing the ball, this might help.

If you have a catcher or if she can throw into a fence, using a pool noodle is a good way to try to change this.

When DD’s arm is getting to far away from her body we have a piece of Velcro we attach to her right thigh. Same as you are doing with her shorts but gives you a little bit more wiggle room on the distance then the shorts.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
To eliminate a swimming glove, I tie a string next to the glove side of a pitcher. I think that you could do the same thing, in your example. I use 2 fiber glass rods from Lowes and tie a string between them.

If I was working with her, I would eliminate any back swing at all and I would have her watch the Hillhouse video.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You mentioned that you were worried about using a wall. Pool noodle is a required piece of equipment for any P, hard to get hurt hitting a pool noodle. Manually place the pool noodle where she will hit the pool noodle if her arm gets off line. It is long enough were you can place it where you want and still be out of the way so the P can still throw normally.

Nov 29, 2009
I almost want her to pitch next to a wall, so she can feel it if she bumps it,

Use the wall drill. Here is what you do. Have your DD stand facing a wall with her toes about 6" from the wall. Make sure it is a smooth wall. Have her feet spread slightly wider than her shoulders. Now, without a ball have her do her arm circle slowly. Tell her she is allowed to brush the wall very lightly with her hand, but she can not wipe the wall with her hand. Have her increase the speed of the arm circle as she gets comfortable with it. She is not allowed to lean back as the arm passes through 12:00. After she gets comfortable doing this have her do it with her eyes closed so she can feel the movement.

Once she is feeling good without the ball then have her do the same drill from the start with a ball. Again, she is not allowed to wipe the wall with ball. Keep working this drill till she feels comfortable with throwing the ball. You can do this drill in the house with a pair of rolled up socks or a wiffle ball.

The important thing is to be sure the wall is smooth so she can't hurt her hand. Also, this is not a speed drill. She should be able to throw the ball with some pace to it but not at full pitch speed. This about reenforcing a good tight arm circle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06