Correct throwing mechaincs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a video of our warm up, they were about 70'-75' apart during these throws.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated

350o1ao.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is not a bad throw. Better than several on my team. Is she getting her back foot square to her target? It doesn't look like it from this angle. When I go frame by frame in QuickTime I see the ER of her front thigh triggering her throwing arm. I think an argument could be made that her throwing arm could be in a little bit stronger position when it gets triggered (more IR), but the overall sync looks to be acceptable. It's hard to make out the position of her back hand just before it gets triggered, but it kind of looks like she is close to being in the "pie throwing" position. If it is, you don't want that.

I should also add that IMO she would benefit from delaying separating her hands until her stride leg begins to move forward.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe she could have used her rear foot better in terms of getting sideways. She took a short-cut here, and it causes her to muscle the ball more.

She externally rotates her rear arm early. There is no triggering taking place with the front leg. Instead external rotation of the rear upper arm leads the way and doesn’t take advantage of the elastic stretch that could have existed had she sync’d the front leg and rear arm.

Jul 26, 2010
I see and hear a lot of players being taught to bring their glove in towards their chest/armpit, this isn't being done by the girl in the video. Any comments on that aspect of the throw?

-W

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I see and hear a lot of players being taught to bring their glove in towards their chest/armpit, this isn't being done by the girl in the video. Any comments on that aspect of the throw?

-W

Her front arm swims a little which isn't ideal. However IMO the basic external rotation action in the front arm is present. Internal rotation of her arms as she breaks her hands should help fix the swimming front arm. I never pull my glove into my chest. I pull it in close to my hip.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

-W

The way Hodge describes this is that he wants the front arm to external rotate. If this is the method that brings the glove towards the chest/armpit, then that sounds about right.

Jul 26, 2010
This is the way I usually see it being taught (from one of MTS's posts I think). Would you consider the glove hand externally rotating here?

relaythrow1.gif

Thanks,

-W

Jun 27, 2008
I agree that her back foot needs to be more square to the target but I wanted to capture her in her natural throwing motion just to make sure. Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is ER and IR, I am assuming external and internal rotation.

Some of our girls bring their gloves to their chest while while others don't, is any particular way better?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30