Correct throwing mechaincs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is the way I usually see it being taught (from one of MTS's posts I think). Would you consider the glove hand externally rotating here?

relaythrow1.gif

Thanks,

-W

I wish this was more like what I see being taught.

I searched Youtube for throwing demonstrations this weekend. I was a bit surprised by what I found. The sync between the front leg and rear upper arm was eliminated in virtually every teaching demonstration. By in large, the external rotation of the rear arm was being taught PRIOR to the external rotation of the front leg.

What we see here is much better IMO.

The rear arm raises via external rotation of the rear upper arm (humerus) AND it is in sync with external rotation of the front upper leg (femur) AND the external rotation of the front leg occurs before the front foot lands. This is more in agreement with how Jeff Hodge taught throwing.

ic3094.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Some of our girls bring their gloves to their chest while while others don't, is any particular way better?

The way Hodge taught throwing, it wasn't so much that the glove was being brought to the chest, so much as if the front upper arm was externally rotating in the process. Throwers that tend to have a "dead lead arm", or that tend to externally rotate ahead of time, tend to open up the body prematurely during the throw and have more of a left/right accuracy issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors