Corner vs no Corner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
You got me to go back and rewatch the video.

Think it would have made more sense if he included the importance of the stretch in the rear lower back. That said, with some understanding there were some valid points after the somewhat rough beginning.

What points do you disagree with?
Um, that video is like eight years old, and fortunately Rich has continued to work on, and improve his understanding of the swing, and how he presents it. Trying to say that that's exactly what he's doing and teaching now is unfair at best, disingenuous at the worst.

While I'm not a big fan of Rich the person (and I know he doesn't give one rip about what people think of him), I do believe he has some very valid teaching points and concepts in his methodology, and that simply dismissing them because of his personality is not only unfortunate for the adult, but also for any of the kids that person may teach along the way (that's not directed at you specifically Five, I know you're as open to new concepts regardless of the source as anyone).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In simplest terms, it's basically the stationary rear hip, that the swing/barrel comes around from behind of.

From a 'feel' perspective, I tend to think of the 'corner' as the muscle contraction along the back edge the body. I think HI spoke of a SCIP (SCap + hIP) ... which is something I can readily relate to ... to me that would be the 'corner'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Um, that video is like eight years old, and fortunately Rich has continued to work on, and improve his understanding of the swing, and how he presents it. Trying to say that that's exactly what he's doing and teaching now is unfair at best, disingenuous at the worst.

While I'm not a big fan of Rich the person (and I know he doesn't give one rip about what people think of him), I do believe he has some very valid teaching points and concepts in his methodology, and that simply dismissing them because of his personality is not only unfortunate for the adult, but also for any of the kids that person may teach along the way (that's not directed at you specifically Five, I know you're as open to new concepts regardless of the source as anyone).

Good points ... and I agree.

It may have been after that video that Rich learned of Lumber Lordosis from the Hawaiian golfing instructor. In any event, my point was that the 'corner', for me, is easier to describe to a hitter when I include the rear lower back.

Apr 11, 2015
From a 'feel' perspective, I tend to think of the 'corner' as the muscle contraction along the back edge the body. I think HI spoke of a SCIP (SCap + hIP) ... which is something I can readily relate to ... to me that would be the 'corner'.
You could have that "feel" of the muscle contraction of the "SCIP", but then "lose the corner" if the swing is launched and/or the weight shift is done incorrectly.

Apr 11, 2015
Good points ... and I agree.

It may have been after that video that Rich learned of Lumber Lordosis from the Hawaiian golfing instructor. In any event, my point was that the 'corner', for me, is easier to describe to a hitter when I include the rear lower back.
Yes, and I believe that Rich thinks the same also, as much of his current teaching is wrt the lower back area as the 2nd video you posted illustrates.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When thinking of "the corner", I always think back to the gears analogy that Rich used/uses. In my opinion the corner is where the vertical gear and the horizontal gear intersect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck