Corner vs no Corner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
From a 'feel' perspective, I tend to think of the 'corner' as the muscle contraction along the back edge the body. I think HI spoke of a SCIP (SCap + hIP) ... which is something I can readily relate to ... to me that would be the 'corner'.

Perhaps we need a better term than "corner". "Corner" connotes something angular, and obvious, even pointy. But it's probably too late for a new term.

Oct 4, 2018
When thinking of "the corner", I always think back to the gears analogy that Rich used/uses. In my opinion the corner is where the vertical gear and the horizontal gear intersect.

So the horizontal gear is the hip rotation (bottom half) and the vertical gear is the upper half (hands/arms/shoulders)?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So the horizontal gear is the hip rotation (bottom half) and the vertical gear is the upper half (hands/arms/shoulders)?

Not quite. The vertical gear is the SCIP axis as FFS mentioned. Basically a line from the rear hip to the scap. Not exactly but hopefully you get the idea. Not an HI guy, so my comprehension of the concepts is somewhat limited. Just bits and pieces I have picked up over the years...

May 3, 2014
The hip is the corner.

The gears meet at the hip.

The torso tilts at the hip joint.

Any "scrunching" is the result of the rear leg turning the pelvis as the torso tilts.

May 3, 2014
Scrunching is mistaken as lateral move. I know because I went off into those weeds. The torso tilt or hip slip or scap to rear pocket is part of the continued resistance as the rear leg turns the pelvis and the hands turn/snap the barrel rearwards or turn/snap the knob upwards. The tilt is roughly diagonal in direction (away from the second basemen for a RH hitter and away from the SS for LH hitter).

May 3, 2014
eKs4YA.gif

GtvRco.gif

mIbgj8.gif

May 12, 2016
I always thought the corner was the rear shoulder or hip, wasn't sure TBH.. :)

Regarding the gifs BM posted above, I believe a hitter can achieve this type pf stretch/Crunch by trying to remained coiled until foot plant with a resisting scapular action. As the hitter becomes uncoiled, the resisting upper backside folds/crunches, this is where "Orange" occurs because stronger muscles dominate/take over. JMHO based on what I've seen, and felt on very rare occasions, LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck