Cool Clip of Low Inside Rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The post was about the pitch missing inside.....east/west....where does Jennie mention that in this clip?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Really? You listened to that video and what you got out of it was that Jennie didn't answer the question about the ball missing east/west? If that is what you extracted, then that's good.

My point to Dado was not to be concerned about not getting something, because even Jennie doesn't appear to understand the riseball.

Jul 17, 2012
Really? You listened to that video and what you got out of it was that Jennie didn't answer the question about the ball missing east/west? If that is what you extracted, then that's good.

My point to Dado was not to be concerned about not getting something, because even Jennie doesn't appear to understand the riseball.

I'm just sticking to the content of the post. Your dig on 27 was out of context.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Don't worry, Finch doesn't get it either.

What is cool to me about this clip of Jenny is not necessarily what she says but the demo pitch from behind. If gives bucket dads a realistic expectation on the path of this pitch. It's not this crazy gravity defying pitch that swoops up at the end like a wiffle ball but is amazingly effective. High heat is hard to handle and when you have already been set up with pitches that move down, in, out and changing speeds catching up with this low rise is super tough. Wish I could see the spin.

Aug 26, 2015

And you're saying this because the riseball doesn't actually rise, right? It just drops at a much smaller rate than say a FB or CU? So, if Jenny Finch can throw a great riseball and can't describe it, I'm in good company basically?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I'm just sticking to the content of the post. Your dig on 27 was out of context.

Not out of line to the post I responded to ... Which wrote of "ignorance" relative to a rise ball. You refer to it as a 'dig', but it was posted as a display of ignorance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

What is cool to me about this clip of Jenny is not necessarily what she says but the demo pitch from behind. If gives bucket dads a realistic expectation on the path of this pitch. It's not this crazy gravity defying pitch that swoops up at the end like a wiffle ball but is amazingly effective. High heat is hard to handle and when you have already been set up with pitches that move down, in, out and changing speeds catching up with this low rise is super tough. Wish I could see the spin.

The low rise can be very effective.

Hitters swing to their prediction of where the ball will be at impact. They perfect this by taking many swings against a live arm and building a database. Many see a ball thrown low in the zone and naturally use a database for hitting a drop ball ... And that won't fair well against a low level rise ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Agree ... if you pay attention to what Jennie does, and ignore what she says, then you won't find yourself chasing a fairy-tale.

dnio1g.gif

Jennie Finch: We can truly make the ball rise and jump out of the zone.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00