Cool Clip of Low Inside Rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is a cool clip of a low inside rise (backspin). Mix this up with a good inside drop-ball, and you're on your way to getting in the batter's head. Of course, you'd mix in the other stuff. ;)

Aug 26, 2015
This is a cool clip of a low inside rise (backspin). Mix this up with a good inside drop-ball, and you're on your way to getting in the batter's head. Of course, you'd mix in the other stuff. ;)

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that a ball? Does it catch the corner of where the plate would be (can't see it in the shot) and I just am too new to get it?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that a ball? Does it catch the corner of where the plate would be (can't see it in the shot) and I just am too new to get it?

I just had her focus on throwing it at the camera. Wanted to get the backspin.
Yes, normally (with no camera) she is aiming for the inside edge of the plate. It's cool to see it right after throwing a drop-ball fastball low and inside. Of course, the drop-ball must reach a higher spot midway to the plate to not be too low for the low inside corner. This low-rise pitch is one you are trying to throw for a strike (barely) but the batter is often backing out thinking it's gonna end up too low to be a strike. It's all in the backspin keeping the ball from falling as much as you think it will, or are accustomed to seeing. Further, even though she's attempting pure rise, like all rise pitchers, it ends up turned/tilted a bit. SO, it does tend to break toward the plate just a bit when thrown inside, away from the plate when thrown toward the upper outside corner

May 12, 2008
Girls don't throw it much. I suppose it's because you don't get the eye candy apparent hop when you throw backspin at the knees but as you say, it's effective. Plus, if you can throw backspin effectively at the knees throwing it at the top or above the zone becomes easy.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It's the Sony HD Video Camera that is similar to a GoPro. There's a trade-off.... You can shoot in very high definition, but not high speed. This clip was set at the high speed 240 setting, but the clarity is down. When I slowed down a high definition clip of a similar pitch, you couldn't see the rotation as well.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Girls don't throw it much. I suppose it's because you don't get the eye candy apparent hop when you throw backspin at the knees but as you say, it's effective. Plus, if you can throw backspin effectively at the knees throwing it at the top or above the zone becomes easy.

Yup! When they warm up or start throwing it in a game, I want them throwing the riseball LOW and inside at first, as the tendency is to throw it too high and too far outside. Like you say, once they get it working low and inside, they can throw it about anywhere. And, I've noticed that low and inside gives the truest backspin. The higher and outside they throw it, it seems to get more turned.

May 12, 2008
Yes, the earlier release for the lower pitch makes it easier to keep the shoulder externally rotated thus making backspin easier. On the higher pitches I'm good with half curve half backspin if you can't manage backspin as long as the spin axis is moving perpendicular to ball flight path. A standard baseball curve grip can make it easier to stay externally rotated as well if the usual rise grip won't work for a kid.

Just as throwing the rise at the knees makes the higher rise easy, so too does working at throwing the drop higher and higher while still breaking it down to the knees makes it easy to throw a nasty break to below the knees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802