Continuing on the Journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow, someone suggests to move your hands back a few inches and all heck breaks loose. And why do you assume the board the baseball writer is talking about is this one?

Do you agree with the idea of pushing the hands back and straightening the lead elbow as a method of creating more bat speed?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here is the blog thread:
How To Improve Bat Speed—Conditioning or Mechanics? | Hitting With Torque
I recently visited a hitting discussion board (yes, I need to get a life) and read the comments on the topic of increasing bat speed and power. I was struck by the overwhelming numbers of people who focused on physical conditioning as the key to improving bat speed. Some of the advice included, throwing a medicine ball, swinging heavier bats, banging a heavy tire against a brick wall, and swinging into a heavy bag. I was the lone poster who advocated improving hitting mechanics to increase bat speed and power.
TireDrill.gif

Here is the post on DFP:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/17083-increasing-bat-speed-power.html

petricca413 View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Nov 2013
Posts 8
Thanks 1
There is NO substitute for improving hitting mechanics to improve bat speed and power. Even if a hitter has sound hitting mechanics, there is always room for more improvement to the load, the independent rotation of the lower and upper body, extension, and follow through. Even professional hitters continue to focus on mechanics first and then strength and conditioning for improved bat speed.
All this being said, weight training and conditioning will have a positive impact on bat speed, just not as much as great mechanics.

Which site do you think Petricca was referring too?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
And these gem:
sara-load.jpg

How to drive the ball to all fields

It is important to discuss another huge benefit of the power lift and turn. In addition to contributing to higher bat speed and thus, more power, physically lifting the front foot off the ground will enhance a hitters’ ability to react and hit inside or outside pitches. As the softball or baseball pitcher is about to release the ball, hitters should respond with the power lift and turn. Depending on the path of the pitch, hitters are now in a position to make the fine adjustment necessary to hit a pitch on the outside or inside portion of the plate with authority. For example, if the pitch is on the outside corner of the plate, hitters can drive the front foot down into the ground a few inches toward the plate to ensure the big part of the bat will make solid contact with the ball. Conversely, if the pitch is inside, hitters can drive the front foot a few inches into the ground away from the plate. Again, this will give hitters a better chance to hit the ball on the sweet spot of the bat.

tess-load.jpg

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Here is the blog thread:
How To Improve Bat Speed—Conditioning or Mechanics? | Hitting With Torque
I recently visited a hitting discussion board (yes, I need to get a life) and read the comments on the topic of increasing bat speed and power. I was struck by the overwhelming numbers of people who focused on physical conditioning as the key to improving bat speed. Some of the advice included, throwing a medicine ball, swinging heavier bats, banging a heavy tire against a brick wall, and swinging into a heavy bag. I was the lone poster who advocated improving hitting mechanics to increase bat speed and power.
TireDrill.gif

Here is the post on DFP:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/17083-increasing-bat-speed-power.html

petricca413 View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Nov 2013
Posts 8
Thanks 1
There is NO substitute for improving hitting mechanics to improve bat speed and power. Even if a hitter has sound hitting mechanics, there is always room for more improvement to the load, the independent rotation of the lower and upper body, extension, and follow through. Even professional hitters continue to focus on mechanics first and then strength and conditioning for improved bat speed.
All this being said, weight training and conditioning will have a positive impact on bat speed, just not as much as great mechanics.

Which site do you think Petricca was referring too?

From this guy's first post (promoting full extension at contact), I knew he had a lot to learn. However, reading his post about conditioning, he has no idea what hitters have to do to be better. Weight training is an essential for any athlete, any sport, to get better. If it didn't increase their bat speed or power, they wouldn't do it. Even lowly high school coaches like me know this.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
From this guy's first post (promoting full extension at contact), I knew he had a lot to learn. However, reading his post about conditioning, he has no idea what hitters have to do to be better. Weight training is an essential for any athlete, any sport, to get better. If it didn't increase their bat speed or power, they wouldn't do it. Even lowly high school coaches like me know this.

First off thanks to you for giving to the girls because I know your not doing it for the money.
Secondly you don't believe that getting to full extension/power V at point of contact trumps everything else?
So, as Paul says I will throw away the weights and tell DD to have a seat on the coach. I'll tell her to pull her arms back as far as they will reach and make sure she gets to full extension at contact and kiss the ball good bye.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
First off thanks to you for giving to the girls because I know your not doing it for the money.
Secondly you don't believe that getting to full extension/power V at point of contact trumps everything else?
So, as Paul says I will throw away the weights and tell DD to have a seat on the coach. I'll tell her to pull her arms back as far as they will reach and make sure she gets to full extension at contact and kiss the ball good bye.

Personally, I was thinking about tying a key to the bottom of my hitters' bats so they could capture the lightning even better. I'm a "think outside the box" kind of coach!

ben_franklin50.jpg

Dec 29, 2010
I thought this was about op dd, everyone gets in a huff in a puff about some one comments. Ignore button is your friend ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The OP's DD is on the right path, as had been noted. Bad advice, however, should not be ignored. Someone else might read this thread in the future as take it as valid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff