Continuing on the Journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
fballchgup, tell your DD she is looking really good!

1. On the low tee drill, get a regular home plate and have your DD align to that plate like she normally would, then align the low tee on the back outside of the home plate you have set up. We use this same tee position when practice the SnF drill. DD does the SnF first followed by regular swings with the same low/outside tee position. I adjust the hitting net to have her feel like she is driving the ball towards second base on both drills.

2. On our SnF, we try to keep the left leg unweighted was much as possible (for right handed batter). DD just puts the toe down basically for balance.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Nice job FB, I love the way She smiles in the first clip you posted.
Getting good SNF is important. Keeping the hands back can be a good cue as long as the hands are not being pushed back. If they are pushed back they tend to get stuck back resulting in a spinny swing to get them unstuck. The hands being too far back can also inhibit turning of the barrel. Have the lower (rear leg/hip) really make a powerful move when She launches out of that miggy setup.
Nice work!

Nov 9, 2013
After looking at her set-up, I was startled when I saw her form and bat speed. For a 12 year-old, she has advanced hitting mechanics. The only glaring issue I see is her hands are too close to her body and head. I would like to see her hands back toward the catcher at set-up. I have a bat speed radar and prove to my hitters all the time that JUST by moving a hitter's hands back 6 inches can increase bat speed by 5mph or more. Here is a picture of a hitter that could help illustrate where I think your daughter's hands should be.

Kerny.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Is this what you are describing?
The Calm Before The “Lightning” | Hitting With Torque
And are these good examples of what you are describing?
tori-bat-position.jpg
mat-bat-position.jpg

Example from the blog article:
In a group lesson, I will set up in a position with my hands relatively close to my body and even with the back of my head. If I am instructing an individual, I try to place my hands in the exact same position as the hitter, which will make the illustration more impactful. Next, I take a few swings (in their bat position) using as much power as I can generate, to come up with an average bat speed number. Then, I move my hands back toward the catcher, which results in almost total extension on my front arm, approximately 6 inches behind my head. It usually only takes one swing to make my point, because this swing typically registers over 10 mph faster than the imitation swing with my hands near my body and head. The reaction is always the same—Wow!

Front arm bar

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
After looking at her set-up, I was startled when I saw her form and bat speed. For a 12 year-old, she has advanced hitting mechanics. The only glaring issue I see is her hands are too close to her body and head. I would like to see her hands back toward the catcher at set-up. I have a bat speed radar and prove to my hitters all the time that JUST by moving a hitter's hands back 6 inches can increase bat speed by 5mph or more. Here is a picture of a hitter that could help illustrate where I think your daughter's hands should be.

View attachment 4907

If this is a setup you like, she is wrapped around the corner with a closed stance.
I wonder how good of a 2 eyed look she can get at a pitched ball?

You would also have to really turn your body before you swung or it would be a circular swing.
Are you sure the extra bat speed it not a circular swing?
Hitting across the ball...

SL

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you ask fballchgup's DD to extend her lead arm rearward into an arm bar position, you will ruin a lot of the great things she has worked hard to build. Extending the lead arm is the wrong answer to improved bat speed. Turning the barrel behind the corner - as she does - is the right answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207