Continuing on the Journey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
attachment.php

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How To Improve Bat Speed—Conditioning or Mechanics? | Hitting With Torque
Here what you posted on your Blog.
I was the lone poster who advocated improving hitting mechanics to increase bat speed and power.
Why don't you listen to your own words? Start improving hitting mechanics and stop teaching what you teach. It's just incorrect.
I'm going to post some of your 'improved hitting mechanics;
Finish Strong! | Hitting With Torque
Stay On The Right Path | Hitting With Torque
The Calm Before The “Lightning” | Hitting With Torque
How To Put “Lightning” Into Your Baseball/Softball Swing | Hitting With Torque
“Independence” Day Hitting Key | Hitting With Torque
So everyone can enjoy what you know and DFP readers/posters don't know.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Mr. Petricca, I noticed that you wanted us to "take your word on it" when it comes to your observations on hitting. I'm not typically one to pile on but the point of this site is that we don't take anyone's "word on it." I've coached for 2/3rds of my life. Had reasonable success doing so. You know what that means to most members here? Nothing. The membership here wants to hear specifically what you believe, how you coach it, how you assess that is it better than another way etc. If you can do so then more power to you. However, no one is going to "take your word on it."

Here is a pic of my dd hitting a bomb. While I'm not saying that she is "all that," it still depicts a home run.

BB Homerun.jpg

The following pic is a double:

BB Hitting Italy.jpg

Extension, imo, is completed after contact and completes the swing.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Mr. Petricca, I noticed that you wanted us to "take your word on it" when it comes to your observations on hitting. I'm not typically one to pile on but the point of this site is that we don't take anyone's "word on it." I've coached for 2/3rds of my life. Had reasonable success doing so. You know what that means to most members here? Nothing. The membership here wants to hear specifically what you believe, how you coach it, how you assess that is it better than another way etc. If you can do so then more power to you. However, no one is going to "take your word on it."

Here is a pic of my dd hitting a bomb. While I'm not saying that she is "all that," it still depicts a home run.

View attachment 4928

The following pic is a double:

View attachment 4929

Extension, imo, is completed after contact and completes the swing.

Your girl has some guns:D Nice looking form at Impact

SL

May 24, 2013
So Cal
torque-hitting.com said:
I was the lone poster who advocated improving hitting mechanics to increase bat speed and power.

This is false ^

See below...

Extending the lead arm is the wrong answer to improved bat speed. Turning the barrel behind the corner - as she does - is the right answer.

I agree with you that proper mechanics are DEFINITELY the right way to improve bat speed. The issue is that the mechanics you prescribe don't stand up to good pitching in a game situation. Fast bat speed at contact while hitting off a tee in a cage means nothing if the hitter can't apply while standing in the batter's box. Pushing the hands back means the hands have to travel farther to contact, which means the hitter has to commit to their swing earlier. Turning the barrel explosively from a handset near the rear shoulder gets the bat up to speed very quickly with hand rotation, not hand travel. Hand rotation can make the barrel move a lot faster, more immediately, than dragging the barrel with hand travel. Early bat speed generated by hand rotation allows the hitter to see the pitch for longer before committing.

Jun 18, 2010
The membership here wants to hear specifically what you believe, how you coach it, how you assess that is it better than another way etc. If you can do so then more power to you. However, no one is going to "take your word on it."

Petricca, welcome to DFP. What CB said above is true. You should start a thread in the technical hitting forum and post a model swing for the mechanics that you advocate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Out in Left Field, now I'm OILF. Who is the "baseball writer?"

The "baseball writer" is Petricca, author of Hitting With Torque | For Baseball and Softball Hitters. OLIF is correct, technically. We (myself included) assumed that his blog/article was referring to DFP when he used the term "hitting discussion board". Certainly, it's possible that he could have been referring to BBD, BBF ,HI, etc. However, as a visitor/member of those sites, I haven't seen that type of advice posted recently, and I'm pretty certain it would have received a similar reaction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283