Colleges/Universities with high academic standards (engineering)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
My daughter is undecided, but looking for something STEM related. Her high school counselor mentioned this school (D3). Softball team seems to be typically +/- .500, and they are called the "Fightin' Engineers".

Thanks. Ironically, living on the west coast my whole life, I have actually been to Terre Haute, IN. I enjoyed my short time there. Another school that calls themselves the engineers is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). I work with several electrical engineers that went there...all super smart.

Aug 9, 2021
Most engineering majors require an internship of sorts. I know my dd had to do 3 semesters of engineering work. So she had to do classes every other semester and the work component on the off semesters until her internship was done. And jobs don’t care about softball so it would have been impossible to fit in a softball schedule. But as I have pointed out before Club softball is a good fit
Thanks for your insight. If you do not mind sharing, where did you DD go to School? I know when I look to hire people, I prefer to hire those that played sports (HS or college). IMHO they are more likely to be team players. But I fully recognize engineering programs are a different breed.

Club softball is definitely an option. We are also going to look at some of the military academies that have club level softball (e.g. Air Force).

May 18, 2022
Thanks for the great advice. Not a lot near to us but we've been trying to go to camps/showcases with schools that fit her ideal situation. Starting to ramp up the emails to coaches as well. We've gone on two trips already just to check out location in the US and secondarily to do some campus tours. We plan to visit as many as possible over the next two years. Agree with finding the right "space" or location for her. I know for my wife and I "we just knew" when we set foot on campus.
For small schools I know Winona State in Minnesota has a very good D2 program, their engineering school is specialized (Composite Materials Engineering) but highly regarded with graduates moving on to work in a wide variety of industries. I know of a couple of graduates of that program that played softball for them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Require to graduate? Not unless it is Co-Op like Northeastern. Getting one looks good on your resume though..
The colleges my dd applied to all required them as part of the curriculum. She had to basically work a whole year. Got paid, got great experience. Even got a job offer.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for your insight. If you do not mind sharing, where did you DD go to School? I know when I look to hire people, I prefer to hire those that played sports (HS or college). IMHO they are more likely to be team players. But I fully recognize engineering programs are a different breed.

Club softball is definitely an option. We are also going to look at some of the military academies that have club level softball (e.g. Air Force).
Grand Valley State University in Michigan. She got into a 5 year Masters program. Got her bachelors in Electrical and Masters in Biomedical engineering. Only did club 2 years, the intern job got in the way.

She played against Navy once in the club World Series tourney. There is a proud Dad on here (can’t remember his handle) his dd went to navy and played club one of the times they won the Natty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi