College World Series?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
We can get into a whole discussion about this--but, basically, the schools say sports exist on campus to develop leadership and teamwork skills.

Now that's funny. Did someone forget to give that memo to Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV? Or Bobby Bowden at Florida State?

Sluggers, I'm just being a smart a$$.. I know what you're saying. To me it's funny how schools still try to give the illusion that sports are not about the money. When it's entirely about the money. The proof is called: BCS. ha ha

I don't pretend to know what Title IX actually says about any specifics. I do know that if that girl can play football, then I should be allowed to play softball. In the other examples listed by MTR, if those schools do not offer golf, bowling, or track for boys, and the boys were not allowed to try out, then I'll bet there would be a lawsuit by one boy's parents. Now, if males were offered golf, bowling and track... and the boys STILL wanted to play on the girls team... I would have serious issue with that.

May 12, 2008
Women can play on men's teams just as a 16U can play on an 18U team. Males have no business on a female softball team just as an 18U has no business being on a 16U team. It's obvious and easy to figure out if you stop thinking about what a lawyer's opinion would be.

Aug 21, 2008
Mark, in spirit I agree with you. I'm using the doublestandard here to be a wiseguy. But, if I had to soul search my true feelings on this, I'm not sure where I'd come out. I don't like double standards in anything, this is another fine example of one. Similar to the Michelle Wie playing in the PGA but no men playing in the LPGA. Yes, I know... PGA does not have an "L" in front of it. But again, it's the spirit of the arguement, not the lawyer talk stuff.

My whole life has been fastpitch, never a game of baseball in my life. A few years ago, there was a boys baseball team that entered a LL softball tournament because their parents were obviously trying to make some kind of point. That was ridiculous. Fastpitch is played in high schools (for boys) in Missouri. They have a state tournament, etc. each year. So, it's slightly a different situation than those kids who played LL to make some political statement, isn't it? Being male doesn't guarantee they will be better at fastpitch than a female. Far from it. So, I'm not so sure a boy shouldn't be allowed to TRY out for a fastpitch team. When I was young, I had to play in men's leagues when I was 12 because there was no youth male fastpitch here. Imagine your 12 year old pitching against college level (or better) players. That's what I had to do.

If a girl wanted to play baseball and was genuinely better than a boy at a certain position, then I'd have no problem with it. Afterall baseball is not offered for girls. So, maybe we'll just agree to disagree.

BTW Mark, I'm doing a coaches clinic in Dallas next month.. any chance you can come up? Maybe we can argue about this over a beer.

Jul 17, 2008
BTW Mark, I'm doing a coaches clinic in Dallas next month.. any chance you can come up? Maybe we can argue about this over a beer.

You won't break his jaw with a pitch like that other guy who disagreed with you about whether a riseball rises, will you?

Aug 21, 2008
mark

It's the weekend of Jan 9th... not sure of the EXACT dates as I don't have a calendar in front of me. It's at the Fort Worth Marriott. I know Howard Kobata, Larry Ray and myself are speakers. I'm not 100% sure who else. Patty Gasso maybe? Not sure.

email me houseofpitching@yahoo.com and I'll send you whatever info I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid