College scraps sports budget for health program toward entire student body.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
College in Georgia scraps athletics program to fight obesity | Fox News Video

So what do we think of this? Sure it's only one small college, but you never know how these things work out in the long run.

I don't like it. To me it's another invasion of individuals who have worked hard most of their young lives in a sport, sacrificed so much to better themselves athletically, stayed disciplined, chose to stay active, eat healthy, not smoke, etc. And then strip all that away because others did not make those same positive choices, what message does that send those who work hard and sacrifice only to be treated like those who did not?

I'm all for people being healthy but come on. We are taught "health" and "physical education" all throughout elementary to high school. You have the information you need, you're tested on it ( required to pass for graduation ). It's up to you,and only you, what path of choices you take and apply them.

Healthy lifestyles are all over the web, the tv, magazine racks, radio, billboards, schools, news. Walking, jogging, sit ups, gym memberships are cheap or free. Do we really need to take away programs from athelets, almost seems like a slap in the face or punishment for them.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It's political bull. Someone probably complained about the money going to sports and President Knee-jerk sold this crap to the press.

The only people who can help those who have a problem are those with the problem. You can throw all the money you want at them, if they don't want to help themselves, nothing else is going to.

If anything, maybe this "savior" should cut salaries and eliminate tenure in her effort to "force" people into a better lifestyle. After all, shouldn't they be the example, not the exception?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
What a joke. Athletes not being able to compete because the do gooder liberal president wants to lead cows to water who will not drink. At least it was D3 and athletic money was not taken away so the girls will be able to stay in school.

Jul 26, 2010
Obesity is necessary. It is key for the fit to survive the upcoming zombie apocalypse. The president of this college is doing humanity a huge disservice.

-W

Apr 11, 2012
wow!....I wonder if the president's decision ten years from now will change the stat any that, in America, 4 out of 5 african-american women are considered "over-weight"....I seriously doubt it.....but you have to give the ole girl credit for trying to do something about it though....the probable with her idea is that she can't make any of those girls actually eat right and exercise everyday if they don't want too, they will talk about alot, but in 5 years they will probably be re-instating their athletic program to help promote enrollment as she would have gotten a lesson in "glutany" and "sloth" from her students....plus I wonder what types of law suits are coming from those who will claim they were "pressured" from thier school into working out and now have injuries resulting from that "pressure"....uniforms, refs and travel will seem really cheap once Case, Rubens & Cambianno gets into their pockets some....there won't be a trend mill allowed any where near that campus then....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would love to see a follow up story in a couple of years that features the athletic dormitory they are converting into a workout facility with the money they are saving. I bet they will find a bunch of treadmills collecting dust! LOL

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well upon more investigation I don't think their softball program will be missed much.

1-28 record
All the pitchers have over a 18.00 era, one has a 63.00 era ( my mother could do better than that and she's in a wheelchair )
137 total innings gave up 422 earned runs

Basketball
0-5 record

Soccer
6-11 record

Volleyball
2-16

Maybe I was too harsh on my original post, doesn't look like they had much of a athletic program to lose in the first place. :)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Well upon more investigation I don't think their softball program will be missed much.

1-28 record
All the pitchers have over a 18.00 era, one has a 63.00 era ( my mother could do better than that and she's in a wheelchair )
137 total innings gave up 422 earned runs

Basketball
0-5 record

Soccer
6-11 record

Volleyball
2-16

Maybe I was too harsh on my original post, doesn't look like they had much of a athletic program to lose in the first place. :)

It's because they are fat! Let the old gal whip them into shape so they will be able to compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild