College Fall Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, if a juco ever beats UofA, they certainly won't want it in the paper. I will pay attention this year and see if any scores are posted.

Going Deep, is this your oldest DD? I have had to learn to say "How is that working out for you?" and stay out of it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well, if a juco ever beats UofA, they certainly won't want it in the paper. I will pay attention this year and see if any scores are posted.

Going Deep, is this your oldest DD? I have had to learn to say "How is that working out for you?" and stay out of it.

Amy its my only child. When I was in HS I paid no attention to the softball girls, they surely didn't have the athletic builds they do now or I'd probably been at every game. 12 years ago, I couldn't even spell fastpitch. 11 years ago I stepped onto my first fastpitch field with DD, the rest has been a learning journey.

DD is the first female athlete in the family. So that has been a challenge, but a great experience for me . :)

She's really leaning towards this D1 Juco, it's the largest in the state. They have offered a full athletic, and she can stack the state Hope scholarship on top for books and clinical supplies for her Paramedic classes. I would have to pay $20 a year for the parking pass, and that's it. It's 25 mins down the road, with a satelite school 7 mins from home.

At the official visit, I found out the coach played on the same travel ball baseball team as my older brother in pre college. We spent more time talking baseball than softball. Haha

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
In the interest of NCAA rule bending what makes it a game vs. scrimmage? Games count but scrimmages don't right? If they play a tournament showcase style (drop dead time), batters start with 1-1 count, 6 outs per half inning, etc. then score doesn't matter so no results = no game = no NCAA team time penalties?

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
In the interest of NCAA rule bending what makes it a game vs. scrimmage? Games count but scrimmages don't right? If they play a tournament showcase style (drop dead time), batters start with 1-1 count, 6 outs per half inning, etc. then score doesn't matter so no results = no game = no NCAA team time penalties?

For D1 I see it as 8 contests (either scrimmages or games) in the Fall (the non championship segment)

Here is the actual wording from the NCAA manual:

Maximum Limitations--Institutional:
A member institution shall limit its total playing schedule with outside competition in softball during the institution’s softball playing season to 56 contests (games and scrimmages) during the segment in which the NCAA championship is conducted and
eight contests (games and scrimmages) during the nonchampionship segment.

And below is the definition of a regulation game from the NCAA Softball Rule Book:

6.12 Regulation Game

6.12.1 A regulation game shall be seven innings unless:

6.12.1.1 The game is extended because of a tie score. (See Rule 6.14.)

6.12.1.2 The game is shortened because:

6.12.1.2.1 The home team needs none or only part of its half of the

seventh inning to score more runs than the visiting team;

6.12.1.2.2 The umpire calls the game (See Rule 6.16.); or

6.12.1.2.3 The eight-run rule is invoked. (See Rule 6.13.)

Note: Weather or darkness may shorten the second game of a doubleheader but not the first, if both games are played.

6.12.2 It is a regulation game when the umpire terminates play by calling, “Game.” If a team wishes to lodge an appeal or protest on the final play of the game, it must immediately inform the plate umpire of that intent.

6.12.3 Speed-up, free substitution, time limits or any other optional rules may not be used for official NCAA contests.

Mar 13, 2010
For D1 I see it as 8 contests (either scrimmages or games) in the Fall (the non championship segment)

Same for DII and DII

Here is the actual wording from the NCAA manual:

Maximum Limitations--Institutional:
A member institution shall limit its total playing schedule with outside competition in softball during the institution’s softball playing season to 56 contests (games and scrimmages) during the segment in which the NCAA championship is conducted and
eight contests (games and scrimmages) during the nonchampionship segment.

And below is the definition of a regulation game from the NCAA Softball Rule Book:

6.12 Regulation Game

6.12.1 A regulation game shall be seven innings unless:

6.12.1.1 The game is extended because of a tie score. (See Rule 6.14.)

6.12.1.2 The game is shortened because:

6.12.1.2.1 The home team needs none or only part of its half of the

seventh inning to score more runs than the visiting team;

6.12.1.2.2 The umpire calls the game (See Rule 6.16.); or

6.12.1.2.3 The eight-run rule is invoked. (See Rule 6.13.)

Note: Weather or darkness may shorten the second game of a doubleheader but not the first, if both games are played.

6.12.2 It is a regulation game when the umpire terminates play by calling, “Game.” If a team wishes to lodge an appeal or protest on the final play of the game, it must immediately inform the plate umpire of that intent.

6.12.3 Speed-up, free substitution, time limits or any other optional rules may not be used for official NCAA contests.
Official NCCA contests are games played during the Championship segment of a team's schedule.
The dates and the number of contests of a team's Championship and Non-Traditional segments are filed with the NCAA at the start of the school year when they submit their Declaration of Playing and Practice Season form.
Contests (games or scrimmages) that are played during the Non-Traditional segment and contests that have been designated scrimmages played during the Championship segment are not considered official NCAA contests. Wins and losses are not counted, no game stats are submitted to the NCAA etc.
As such, it is not unusual in these contests that the HC's agree to set aside/modify certain rules so they make the best use of the time available for coaching, instruction, and evaluation opportunities with their teams.
Free substitution, no limit on conferences, and time limits, are three of the more common ones.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Yeah, I think this line sums it up - no official contest if optional rules used. I was wondering how some schools seem to play more in the fall than others.

Mar 13, 2010
Yeah, I think this line sums it up - no official contest if optional rules used. I was wondering how some schools seem to play more in the fall than others.
While the NCAA By-Laws restrict member schools to a maximum of 8 games during their fall (Non-Traditional segment) schedule, there are certain types of games that are exempted by the NCAA. Among them are, alumni games, games with a foreign team, games with the US National team, and fund raising games.
The 8 game max applies to DI, DII, and DIII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck