College Camps/Climics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
It appears College camps/clinics are not all the same. Some are Outstanding, some Average, and some just a poor attempt at a Money grab.

Uconn, Harvard, Providence all very good camps.

Fairfield, Penn very average

Holy Cross, Bryant poor just money grabs.

Do Your research make sure camps/clinics being offered are open to your daughters graduation year.

Apr 28, 2019
It appears College camps/clinics are not all the same. Some are Outstanding, some Average, and some just a poor attempt at a Money grab.

Uconn, Harvard, Providence all very good camps.

Fairfield, Penn very average

Holy Cross, Bryant poor just money grabs.

Do Your research make sure camps/clinics being offered are open to your daughters graduation year.
Brown was very good
UMass Lowell very average.

May 27, 2013
What would you say determined the difference between a poor, average, or outstanding camp?

IME, most seemed very similar. Stretching, warm up throwing, split into group work defense (IF, OF, P, C) and offense (Hit off tee, front toss, sometimes machine pitch). Then come back together for games. Q&A, then dismissal. This was D1 and D3, indoor and outdoor camps. Some indoor camps did not have games. That was the only difference I noticed.

Apr 28, 2019
What would you say determined the difference between a poor, average, or outstanding camp?

IME, most seemed very similar. Stretching, warm up throwing, split into group work defense (IF, OF, P, C) and offense (Hit off tee, front toss, sometimes machine pitch). Then come back together for games. Q&A, then dismissal. This was D1 and D3, indoor and outdoor camps. Some indoor camps did not have games. That was the only difference I noticed.
Good camps were well run no standing around. Coaches were engaging and actually watched and gave constructive criticism.

Coaches took notes and looked closely at players graduating next two years. College players helping were enthusiastic and gave encouragement.

Very positive atmosphere, competitive drills, good explanations of everything being asked to do. Actually put players in their primary positions during games.

My daughters favorite camps were Uconn & Brown. She worked hard, learned more about the game & expectations, and felt she was wanted and belonged there.

Feb 7, 2014
From an instruction standpoint, the best softball camps DD attended had nothing to do with school.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Headfirst still stands out as the best DD attended.

On Deck was more of a ID Combine, but it seemed they are only focused on the top 10% P5 type of players.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't understand how anybody can go to a camp and expect any of the instruction to do much unless the people who work with the player on a daily basis also attend the camp and understand what is being taught..Even MLB players have instructors (see Ron Washington) who work with the players every day making sure that they are continuing to do things the correct way...

Recruiting age sure go and get seen/make contacts/etc..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't understand how anybody can go to a camp and expect any of the instruction to do much unless the people who work with the player on a daily basis also attend the camp and understand what is being taught..Even MLB players have instructors (see Ron Washington) who work with the players every day making sure that they are continuing to do things the correct way...

Recruiting age sure go and get seen/make contacts/etc..
There is nothing magical about a camp vs a practice. Some of the camps DD attended ended up getting some good reps. That is all.

Your job as camper is to be coachable and to ball out.

School camps Strategery.
  • Are any of the coaches (multi school camp) on your list?
  • You better have been doing some type of communication with any of these coaches prior to the camp
  • Play lights out-Your mantra should be "Line Drives and Dives!"
  • Be at the front of the line.
  • Be vocal-Cheer on the other campers and use their names.
  • Get uncomfortable if this is your first couple of camps--It gets easier the more you attend.
  • jog station to station--No walking!!!
  • Be first to pick up balls
  • Chat up all the coaches and players if there
  • Ask questions
  • Good idea for TB coach to reach out to coach to let them know player is coming.
  • Better idea for TB coach to get feedback
  • Be memorable!!!
There are more. If you have more input, feel free to add to this list.

Jun 8, 2016
There is nothing magical about a camp vs a practice. Some of the camps DD attended ended up getting some good reps. That is all.

Your job as camper is to be coachable and to ball out.

School camps Strategery.
  • Are any of the coaches (multi school camp) on your list?
  • You better have been doing some type of communication with any of these coaches prior to the camp
  • Play lights out-Your mantra should be "Line Drives and Dives!"
  • Be at the front of the line.
  • Be vocal-Cheer on the other campers and use their names.
  • Get uncomfortable if this is your first couple of camps--It gets easier the more you attend.
  • jog station to station--No walking!!!
  • Be first to pick up balls
  • Chat up all the coaches and players if there
  • Ask questions
  • Good idea for TB coach to reach out to coach to let them know player is coming.
  • Better idea for TB coach to get feedback
  • Be memorable!!!
There are more. If you have more input, feel free to add to this list.
DD's team got invited to an OU team camp in a few weeks. 3 days, 100 bucks a kid for some reps and 4 guaranteed games against good competition. She isn't going to be able to play for OU but it is basically a small tournament where they get to play a game or two on Marita Hynes and she will get used to performing in front of college coaches so it is worth it in my book. That said I am not expecting Grace Lyons to teach my kid how to field..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles