Camps that measure a kids metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
Great post V!
We attended 3 camps at Liberty (2 or 3)? Dot Richardson used to preach this EXACT same thing! Speaking to all the parents at the first camp we went to, she said every girl attending here today can play college softball, D1 ball......NO! She said to never discount D3 and Juco schools, she said wherever you end up, it'll be competitive softball that'll line up with your skill set!

She also said to the parents who have that D1 or nothing dream, wake up, you're doing your kid a huge disservice! For you guys here who have never heard her speak, you're missing out big time!

When my DD was in the recruiting process she was invited to a D1 recruits weekend where they had a couple softball exhibition games and we did the footballs game, etc. The softball team played a JUCO out of Illinois. Let me tell you what, that team was bad rear! The D1 school did end up winning that exhibition simply due to superior pitching, but I was extremely impressed with the JUCO. They had stud athletes on that team. While we had other options, after that visit, I did add that JUCO to my kids list of colleges to look into. Definitely don't think lower level schools are not competitive!

May 27, 2013
When my DD was in the recruiting process she was invited to a D1 recruits weekend where they had a couple softball exhibition games and we did the footballs game, etc. The softball team played a JUCO out of Illinois. Let me tell you what, that team was bad rear! The D1 school did end up winning that exhibition simply due to superior pitching, but I was extremely impressed with the JUCO. They had stud athletes on that team. While we had other options, after that visit, I did add that JUCO to my kids list of colleges to look into. Definitely don't think lower level schools are not competitive!

Yep. If it were me, I’d much rather play for a smaller division that had a serious chance of going to the National Championship as opposed to playing on a D1 team that has no chance of winning their conference. It all depends on the experience your dd prefers to have.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Vertigo said " but they also have to realize the level of commitment and work it will entail to get there. "
Yeah it will take a lot of work but even with the highest level of commitment and work most still won't make it. Genetics are a real thing.

Aug 6, 2013
Great post V!
We attended 3 camps at Liberty (2 or 3)? Dot Richardson used to preach this EXACT same thing! Speaking to all the parents at the first camp we went to, she said every girl attending here today can play college softball, D1 ball......NO! She said to never discount D3 and Juco schools, she said wherever you end up, it'll be competitive softball that'll line up with your skill set!

She also said to the parents who have that D1 or nothing dream, wake up, you're doing your kid a huge disservice! For you guys here who have never heard her speak, you're missing out big time!
I agree she really gives great informative talks. I was very impressed at the camp my daughter attended. She is so encouraging and upbeat when talking to the athletes as well. DD really enjoyed the Liberty camp.

May 27, 2013
I agree she really gives great informative talks. I was very impressed at the camp my daughter attended. She is so encouraging and upbeat when talking to the athletes as well. DD really enjoyed the Liberty camp.

Great thing about her is she is extremely personable. I used to watch her on TV when she played on the Olympic team, and I highly respected her for becoming a doctor. I met her once down at D9 and just happened to say hi to her as she was leaving the fields. She actually stopped and we chatted briefly. She didn’t have to do that, but it was really cool that she did, being a “softball celebrity.”

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
As my kid is moving up to 14U I'm told we need to start thinking about college.

As a part of this I've started to get sold on athletic testing camps.

We have done 3 of them. The camps basically line the girls up and time them on runs, do some skills drills, overhand throw MPH, Bat Speed... and a few other metrics.

I can now log into 3 different websites and look at my kids numbers. I find it interesting to compare and contrast my kids metrics vs the other kids, but will anyone else ever look at this?

The testing seems pretty basic. I could do it with a stopwatch some cones and a BlastMotion.

The different organizations that are running the tests and posting the data are selling their services as a way for college coaches to do a little research on a kid. Does this happen?

TLDNR - Am I wasting my money?
Everyone wants to sell you something. Focus on getting through 9th grade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug