Camps that measure a kids metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
I have seen many kids waste valuable time and money going to Power 5 camps
I agree. I guess I just believe it is more dangerous and potentially detrimental for kids to eliminate lower level schools than for kids to include some reach/dream schools in their camp schedule as long as it doesn't stop them from attending camps at more realistic options.

My point is not that you shouldn't start to think about what might be the appropriate level but rather to use that as a guide to help you concentrate time and resources but don't eliminate the possibility that your current assessment may not match the eventual reality so attend some camps both above and below that level. This is true even within the power 5. There is a big difference between top of the SEC and bottom of the ACC.

While I have big issues with the September 1 recruiting rule change it has likely dramatically reduced the instances of a players lack of development after verbally committing leading to a rescinding of the offer but has significantly increased the risk of misreading your appropriate level of play as you have a limited amount of time to change course after September 1. This to me is the big benefit of attending camps at multiple levels. I can have whatever opinion of the appropriate level for my DD but if I attended camps and emailed coaches at different levels consistently from 13 on I will find out what the coaches think is the appropriate level on September 1 based upon who contacts DD.

Jun 8, 2016
Where does humor fit in?!
Probably would depend on whether performance is self-assessed or not.. :p That
said I think I have read somewhere where sense of humor is highly (positively) correlated with intelligence...Of course there are studies which say swearing is also positively correlated with intelligence so who the fu*& knows, those studies may be sh%# :)

Feb 1, 2021
Good to hear, and congratulations to your DD.

My daughter is probably going to be the slowest girl on every team she's on. She's doing a 6x per week leg routine with sprints, box jumps, lunges, speed squats, etc. Bless her heart. She's done it for 5 months. Love the dedication and hope it pays off.

But her times in these camps will get her X'ed off some lists, for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If its something she can work on and make a significant difference then go for it. If its going to be a marginal change, I wouldn't fret too much about it unless she just really loves the work.

I will add however that 'learning how to run' can make a big difference. Proper efficient technique is where the biggest improvements come from. Sometimes those changes are almost overnight. I have a degree in Phys Ed/Exercise Science with 'minor' in Bio-mechanics by the way. I'm not just talking out of my butt.

I really learned a lot going thru the recruting process. The one thing I heard a lot and it makes sense, is coaches look for potential. They aren't necessarily looking for the kids that are razor sharp with no room to grow. Sometimes being 'raw' in a certain skill can actually work to your favor if that makes sense. Not saying don't work at it, but just because you have a long list of places to improve doesn't mean they won't be interested.

Its worth another mention, but know your strengths and put that in front of coaches as often as you can. Obviously keep running speed off the profile sheet if that's not a plus! Lol.

May 21, 2015
South
Probably the most important metric is the ACT score. Coaches at all levels care a lot about the ACT. There are girls on the roster of major college teams simply because of their ACT scores. I believe coaches are attracted to these girls for several reasons. 1. Can improve overall team gpa and 2. Set an academic example and be a role model for the other girls on the team.

Feb 15, 2017
Probably the most important metric is the ACT score. Coaches at all levels care a lot about the ACT. There are girls on the roster of major college teams simply because of their ACT scores. I believe coaches are attracted to these girls for several reasons. 1. Can improve overall team gpa and 2. Set an academic example and be a role model for the other girls on the team.

And 3 - cost the softball program less in scholarship money to get possibly the same caliber player that could cost them more otherwise.

May 27, 2013
Well said. I'd wager tons of us are in this same camp. I could see my DD playing at a D2 or D3. Something would have to really increase for D1. I'm not sure I see any D1 talent across the A-teams in our part of the world. Some really good girls, but nothing magical (yet).

You’d be surprised at some players who go D1. Some not so magical. From what I’ve seen, there is a pretty big range of skill sets among the D1 teams, just as there are among the rest of the college division teams. Sometimes the stars align and a recruit catches lightning in a bottle.

Feb 1, 2021
You’d be surprised at some players who go D1. Some not so magical. From what I’ve seen, there is a pretty big range of skill sets among the D1 teams, just as there are among the rest of the college division teams. Sometimes the stars align and a recruit catches lightning in a bottle.
Trust me, you will be surprised! I have seen many MANY girls you would have never thought would be D1 succeed at that level.

That said, most girls in my experience are actually under-recruited. There is some amazing D1 talent at D2 as well. 'Making sense' is something you have to kind of ignore during recruiting.

May 27, 2013
At the beginning of every season when I give the players on our team a talk on recruiting, the biggest takeaway I hope they ingrain in their brain is to cast a wide net. So many times the newest players (typically HS freshmen or sophomores) hand me their top 10 colleges and they are all D1 or even all P5 schools. While I encourage them to chase their dreams, I also remind them to keep their options open. When we face a true D1 pitcher and they strike out every at-bat or while pitching against a very good National level team where 1-9 can all mash and they get hit hard, I tell them to remember these moments when looking at college programs. Sure, they can definitely improve to make high level college teams, but they also have to realize the level of commitment and work it will entail to get there.

Jan 14, 2021
Can somebody list all the test? 20 yard dash, 40 yard dash, 5/10/5, ect. Can a team just do it themselves to get baseline. Think it a good way of telling player/PARENTS that Jenny needs to put in some extra work and put down the candybar without saying it directly.
Softball Factory:
1. 20 yard sprint
2. Home to 1st from front toss hit
3. 5-10-5 shuttle run left and right
4. Overhand throw velo
5. Standing broad jump
6. Exit velo off front toss
7. Grip Strength both hands
8. Barrel accuracy on front toss

They also evaluate position specific fielding.

They rate each measurement 10-70 that you can use for comparison.

Based on the overall eval, a player rep calls and offers development camps and tournament opportunities. You can also buy a video of the hitting and fielding.

May 27, 2013
Trust me, you will be surprised! I have seen many MANY girls you would have never thought would be D1 succeed at that level.

That said, most girls in my experience are actually under-recruited. There is some amazing D1 talent at D2 as well. 'Making sense' is something you have to kind of ignore during recruiting.

Yep, have seen that, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55