Camps that measure a kids metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would say yes. If you tested all TB players at 13 and then all TB players at 18 I would expect to see a larger difference.

.I would also say that if you tested the average crazy level of parents at these camps, the crazy level for the 13's being tested would be much higher.. :LOL:
Thats why i was wondering where those #'s come from.

Jun 8, 2016
Thats why i was wondering where those #'s come from.
Who knows but most parents want to get a brag on FB so at 13, unless they already know their kid is a stud, they probably are not getting them tested. Unlike making the USSSA National team, where your kid may be trying out against 1 other kid in her area but nobody knows that, you cannot lie about the numbers since they get posted. On the other hand at the older ages they are doing it more for recruiting purposes so you probably get a wider ranges of ability levels being tested.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
It's hard to evaluate your kids athletic ability when they are 13. So much can change. My kid hasn't hit puberty yet. Don't know if she is going to be 5 foot 5 or 5 foot 10.

🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺 X 1000

I've touched on this in other threads and I got long winded but it is a pet peeve of mine so I overdo it.

One of the biggest mistakes I see from families when creating their recruiting plan(The other one is not having a plan at all) is to assume they know the appropriate level of play for their DD. It is rife with potential errors. The first and most ubiquitous is the parent goggles. It is a struggle for any parent to evaluate their own child in an unbiased way. The second is as quoted above, you should be thinking about these things around 13-14 years old, how do you know what your DD's development will be like over the next several years. By beginning your college search based upon level of softball you are setting your DD up for significant disappointment if you overestimate what winds up being the appropriate level of play. It is so unfortunate to see a player disappointed with amazing opportunities to play college softball because they do not meet the expectations that were set at 13 years old. I would recommend attending camps at schools from multiple levels of play.

A very wise person on this site(sorry I don't remember who) once said the college search process is a process of elimination. You don't choose a college, you eliminate all the ones that don't work. This always stuck with me and guided the search process for my DD a 2022 who committed last fall but also for my NARP DS who is a college freshman.

The criteria for eliminating schools can and will vary for everyone (geography, academic rigor, course of study, etc) but at some point, whether we like it or not, for our DD's with dreams of playing at the next level, college coach assessment of their athletic ability will eliminate some schools. Why rush to eliminate schools so young especially when it is only college coaches opinion that counts anyway.

Jun 8, 2016
🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺 X 1000

I've touched on this in other threads and I got long winded but it is a pet peeve of mine so I overdo it.

One of the biggest mistakes I see from families when creating their recruiting plan(The other one is not having a plan at all) is to assume they know the appropriate level of play for their DD. It is rife with potential errors. The first and most ubiquitous is the parent goggles. It is a struggle for any parent to evaluate their own child in an unbiased way. The second is as quoted above, you should be thinking about these things around 13-14 years old, how do you know what your DD's development will be like over the next several years. By beginning your college search based upon level of softball you are setting your DD up for significant disappointment if you overestimate what winds up being the appropriate level of play. It is so unfortunate to see a player disappointed with amazing opportunities to play college softball because they do not meet the expectations that were set at 13 years old. I would recommend attending camps at schools from multiple levels of play.

A very wise person on this site(sorry I don't remember who) once said the college search process is a process of elimination. You don't choose a college, you eliminate all the ones that don't work. This always stuck with me and guided the search process for my DD a 2022 who committed last fall but also for my NARP DS who is a college freshman.

The criteria for eliminating schools can and will vary for everyone (geography, academic rigor, course of study, etc) but at some point, whether we like it or not, for our DD's with dreams of playing at the next level, college coach assessment of their athletic ability will eliminate some schools. Why rush to eliminate schools so young especially when it is only college coaches opinion that counts anyway.
Nah my kid is either going to play for Michigan or Stanford (she'll turn them into a contender..) and get her PhD in Biomedical Engineering while she is there..to he*& with you :p

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Who knows but most parents want to get a brag on FB so at 13, unless they already know their kid is a stud, they probably are not getting them tested. Unlike making the USSSA National team, where your kid may be trying out against 1 other kid in her area but nobody knows that, you cannot lie about the numbers since they get posted. On the other hand at the older ages they are doing it more for recruiting purposes so you probably get a wider ranges of ability levels being tested.
And we know there is probably much more average and below average skill #'s than there are top #'s.
Lower curve pulling down end results?

Thot of it this way,
Trying to assess the world iq...
There are some very intelligent people on the planet, but the over abundance of lack of intelligence........
We live with the average of results 😁

Jun 8, 2016
There are some very intelligent people on the planet, but the over abundance of lack of intelligence........
We live with the average of results 😁
Research shows human performance follows a power-law distribution (and not a .Gaussian distribution..e.g. "Bell Curve")

Feb 12, 2014
🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺🔺 X 1000

I think it is absolutely reasonable at age 13-14 to have some level in mind when looking for potential college opportunities, especially if your daughter is playing travel ball at a relatively high level. I have seen many kids waste valuable time and money going to Power 5 camps when it is obviously clear to anyone who has watched them play that they are not a P5 player. As a parent, if we cannot be objective, then we need to consult with people who are (coaches, instructors, etc).

Players will absolutely change and develop in the intervening years (girls less so than boys in my experience), and you had better believe that college coaches will expect continued improvement after a verbal commitment. But, with that said, I don't think that 13-14 is too young to begin the process of elimination that you describe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55