Coaching question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Due to money constraints, let me pose this question: I have a 13-year-old who has been instructed well to this point. Good mechanics, nice fastball, nice change, good speed ... but money is tight. Does anyone here feel that it is possible to develop a good pitcher without professional instruction? If so, how would you go about it?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What is her long term goal? If it is to pitch varsity at a single A high school, many girls have done that, without instruction. If it is to be recruited by D1 colleges that go to the national championships, probably not.

At 13, this is when she needs to be developing her other pitches and coming up with a plan to get national exposure next year, if she wants to go to a major college.

That said, she could go along like she is and probably still pitch at a community college in the midwest, if she didn't mind going where she was needed.

Nov 29, 2009
Does anyone here feel that it is possible to develop a good pitcher without professional instruction?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is your daughter has good mechanics. Now she has to be taught the different movement pitches. Unfortunately, that takes more than the advice you'll get here or from pitching videos. It takes the trained eye of an instructor to make the corrections in the delivery while trying to get the pitcher to understand what she is trying to accomplish. It also involves specific drills for each pitch. These drills can vary from girl to girl depending on their ability to learn and their natural ability. No two girls are the same. You can't use a cookie cutter to train them.

By it's nature, pitching is a VERY individual position that requires untold hours of working alone to master it. There is no substitute for the one-on-one interaction between a student and the pitching coach.

I've had girls with whom I've worked with for a while not schedule any lessons for various reasons. I usually end spending the next lesson correcting all the bad habits that have crept into their pitching motion. Only once we're there can we advance.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with Sparky and Amy.

But, assuming you can't afford the lessons, then you should first look at cutting back on the number of lessons to perhaps one every other week or once a month. As Sparky said, don't just schedule lessons off and on...get on a regular schedule.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Does anyone here feel that it is possible to develop a good pitcher without professional instruction?

This is not a yes or no question.

I think alot depends on the experience of a parent in softball/baseball. I bet there are plenty of parents on here that have taught their DD to pitch. Mine is 16 now and had less than a month of "professional" instruction. I know she has not won the ASA Nats or the Premier, but she has pitched and won 3 state championships and made a pretty good name for herself in the softball world in our part of the country.

Now mine may have an unfair advantage to pitching. My brother and I pitched D1, my oldest nephew currently pitches D2, his younger brother will at least pitch D2 ( he's better than his older brother haha ) And this reenforces my part of parents with experience.

Here is the curve to all this. My DD is the only female in the family. ( pray for me ) Not only did I have to learn this crazy underhand pitching, but mine is also the only lefty in the family. Let me tell you there were many a practice when she was younger I wanted to blow my head off.

I wanted to give you as many facts in our individual situation as I could, my point is.............. IT CAN BE DONE!!! And I wouldn't trade that time of us learning TOGETHER for a million dollars and a free ride to play in the WCW's. She is happy where her skills are and will be proud to go play D2 where she can focus more on her education.

Part 2 , sorry had a phone call and didn't want to lose my post.

How did we do it?

I ordered and studied every pitching dvd and video I could get my hands on. Went and watched the older travel pitchers in the area. Asked questions if I needed advice. But most of all PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's kind of sad that the pitcher position has become one that excludes kids due to costs but I guess the whole TB does that too.

In our area (NJ) there are several pitching camps that go 12 and 24 weeks. The 12 week camp costs about 250. The 24 week lesson work out to $20 per week and you sign up in 6 week intervals. Both have sent kids to college as pitchers. This type of lesson may be something you could afford and is offered in your area. IF you can afford something, try to video tape it for replay later to re-enforce what was taught. Good luck.

May 22, 2011
hey going deep, after all your research are their any must have videos that you based your core mechanics on, or any for the movement pitches that stood out .

Mar 13, 2010
Mama B, I'm not American but I know plenty of pitchers who became state and national pitchers in Australia with minimal lessons. It's slightly easier here as the retired top pitchers still play fastpitch, so they're always around and often willing to help. I would talk to the local high school coaches and ask if there are any college bound pitchers. See if they're willing to help.

Talk to the local pitching coaches see if they have anything that can help.

If not, use the web as much as possible. Help your daughter be the best she can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd