coaching mistakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What's the most common mistakes (or rule misunderstandings) young coaches make when coming to play ASA for the first time ? I don't want to make them.

Assuming younger age groups/less travel experience rather than changing from say NSA/USSSA to ASA tournaments:

- Not being aggressive on the bases. Steal second until they prove they can stop you. Take big leads. Our team is slow and we still get around the bases aggressively. New coaches don't take enough risks.
- Falling for 2 base-walks or slow steals with a runner on third. New team you just let her go because you likely have other more important things to worry about practicing - later on you will want to decide how you want to play this. (see many other threads)
- Thinking the play is over when it isn't - good teams will pick up you are not paying attention and delay steal on the throw back to the pitcher (especially home)
- While pool games do give you an opportunity to play some players in other positions, you can't leave yourself totally weak. Move ONE or TWO players around
- Not practicing dropped third strikes.
- Not checking all your equipment is in good shape. No missing screws on helmet cages, no cracks in bats, proper ASA marks, visible safety marks on helmets
- Courtesy runner for your pitcher and/or catcher is last out. Use it - especially for catchers who get tired over a weekend and can use the rest.
- Forgetting your line up book at home. And your score book. And someone to score.

Oh - forgot one... Every win at travel is a good one.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
- Courtesy runner for your pitcher and/or catcher is last out. Use it - especially for catchers who get tired over a weekend and can use the rest.

This is not the ASA rule. It may be the tournament rule, so make sure you know what is in effect for the tournament you are playing in.

Feb 4, 2013
The Dp/flex rule is something you must study and is a wonderful tool for long tournaments. If used properly it can give rest to players without burning subs.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I think managing the DP/flex rule and trying to keep 12+ players and parents happy without free substitutions in games you are trying to win.....ASA qualifiers are no pool play, straight double elimination.

Not all - some do use pool followed by double elim.

As far as mistakes for young coaches - they get too wrapped up in balls/strikes & safe/out calls. They don't let it go, but that's not specific to ASA.

Specific to ASA - If you're used to playing in other orgs, it has to be the DP/Flex rule and substitutions.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Ooh, I have a good one regarding a courtesy runner. Make sure the umpire approves your courtesy runner before she runs out onto the field. We were chatting with another team the other weekend and one of their girls got called out because she ran out too soon.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
One of the mistakes I used to make, and one that still pops up once in a blue moon, is when I used to drift into "spectator mode." Sometimes it's easy for me to get lost in the game, the smell of the grass, the dust from the clay, the sounds, that I have to remind myself that I have a game to coach and I need to view the entire game, not just the action near the ball.

May 10, 2010
I would say knowledge of the look back rule. Also TB teams are really good at lead offs and trying to convince your parents they are not leaving early is impossible.

May 21, 2013
2) Not understanding continuation/hesitation on a walk when a player takes second. She can stop once.

could explain what this looks like ?
can a player do this if the ball is in the circle ?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
2) Not understanding continuation/hesitation on a walk when a player takes second. She can stop once.

could explain what this looks like ?
can a player do this if the ball is in the circle ?

If a runner is off the base when the ball is returned to the pitcher in the circle, the runner is allowed to stop once, then immediately proceed one way or the other.

A batter that is walked may run to and round first base, stop, then either go to second or return to first.

If the ball is not with the pitcher in the circle, there are no restrictions on the runner.

If a runner is stopped on a base when the the pitcher has the ball in the circle, they may not leave the base.

If the pitcher "makes a play" on the runner, all restrictions are lifted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC