coaching mistakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2013
What's the most common mistakes (or rule misunderstandings) young coaches make when coming to play ASA for the first time ? I don't want to make them.

Jan 22, 2011
ASA tournament rules? Mistakes I made:

1) Not understanding DP/Flex rule
2) Not understanding continuation/hesitation on a walk when a player takes second. She can stop once.
3) Forgetting it was tournament ball, so free substitution wasn't in effect.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Typically if its a rule misunderstanding, the umpires usually will tell you cannot do that. I see way more coaching mistakes that doesn't have anything to do with the rules. I am always honest with the team, if I make a mistake coaching the bases or make a wrong decision during the game, I will tell them. It bothers me when coaches tell players what they did wrong, when it's obivious that coaching mistakes also happened during the game and the coach doesn't say anything about that.

Mar 28, 2013
The easiest way to pick out a new coach at the TB level is in the base running. They generally are not nearly aggressive enough and the players are not familiar with all the tricks and plays. Its not uncommon for a pitcher to pitch a no hitter and give up 5+ runs. Unfortunately you will pick it up as its happening to you and I'm pretty sure not a single coach on this board cant remember the time when base runners are flying all over the pads and his team is throwing the ball all over the place. Just be sponge and keep it fun for the kids. One day the shoe will be on the other foot. Have a great weekend.

Jan 22, 2011
Never fight with the umpire just say “I am protesting” if you are unsure of the rule.

Good point-- its sad how few coaches know to politely call time, slowly walk to the umpire who made the call, politely and calmly ask the question, and politely ask if he's willing to ask their partner for help. And remember an umpire does not have to ask their partner for help.

Feb 7, 2013
Infield Fly Rule - newer teams don't understand it or practice it enough on either offense or defense.
Dropped Third Strike - not in effect with 1st base occupied, less than 2 outs.

Not ASA specific, but if time limit games, absolutely critical you understand the local rules about a) no new inning after certain time b) drop dead (i.e. reverts back to previous inning score?, and c) tie breaker rules (e.g. head to head, most runs, most shutouts, least runs, etc.).

Good luck.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think managing the DP/flex rule and trying to keep 12+ players and parents happy without free substitutions in games you are trying to win.....ASA qualifiers are no pool play, straight double elimination.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal