Coach upset with DD for going to Homecoming

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
So, Easton, in your opinion, the coach has no culpability in this case. Coaches are like Gods they make decisions and you go along.

Coaches, a lot like umps, never satisfy everyone. To say he has no culpability, I wouldn't go that far. He may have had the same request from 4 other players last week or two weeks ago and maybe he made them stick. He could also be taking lesser evil. Maybe 3 girls wanted off next week and only 1 this week, so he pressed the one for the sake of the 3. Maybe this is their last exposure tournament do to his inability to make others. Who knows? He knew in advance but let's give a little credit and assume for whatever reason he couldn't make it work. Personally don't know any coaches that would purposefully put a player in a bind. I am sure they are out there maybe he is one, maybe not. Either way, they accepted him as the coach and the scheduler of games and he has the responsibility to do what is best for the team, not the individual. Change teams in the spring if he doesn't provide a decent reason why he scheduled it knowing she would miss but live up to your commitment. Just my OPINION, board would be useless if we all agreed.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I missed coogansbluff's post but that is the point. She made a commitment and laid out the terms. The coach agreed. He is violating his commitment.

WRT Homecoming not being a big event, that depends upon where you live. In my school, it is huge. It is full of all of the silliness of HS. We start homecoming with the homecoming dance and it is formal. During that dance, those that attend vote for Homecoming King and Queen as well as "Attendants" for each class. They name the "Attendants" for the Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes. Then, they name the King and Queen. We have Homecoming Week. Then, at the Homecoming Game, we have a parade and the King and Queen ride in that parade along with the Attendants. Two or three pages of our local paper will be taken up with Homecoming Dance and Homecoming Game pictures. The King and Queen along with the Attendants will get a full page. For us, Homecoming is a big deal. The Junior Senior Prom is also a big deal but would not conflict with TB since it is in the Spring and our state plays HS softball in the spring.

Jun 1, 2013
You seem to forget that she DID discuss this with her coach two months ago. He was fine with it. Now he's not. That's his problem, not hers.

We agree to disagree. Vehemently. I suppose that means that I don't truly understand the meaning of the word "commitment." And since my wife completely agrees with me, she doesn't either. Guess our marriage is a sham...

I won't comment on your marriage, doesn't change what commitment means though. Ask your wife if you can have a weekend off from what you committed to her x amount of years ago. "But honey, it was just one weekend and she was super hot. I would never get the chance again." See how that works out for you.

Regardless of what comes up, a commitment is something you try your best to live up to. Somethings trump everything, death in the family, etc.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Our Coach is upset that DD is going to Homecoming and missing our next tournament. Won't let it go...we told him 2 months ago when he decided to do a tournament out of state. She's never missed one...only part of one when she sprained her ankle in the second game. Fortunately they were on a break when she was in the hospital. Anyone else have this problem? Other girls have missed to go on vacations etc... but he keeps telling her she made a commitment to the team and is letting her teammates down. We have a lot of injuries on the team at the moment but she's been very committed and even played in the last tournament with a recovering ankle after the doctor said he'd prefer she didn't. They only had 8, so she said she'd be fine. Anyway, just wanted to rant.

Personally I would tell her to ditch HC this year as a sophomore and go in JR/SR year. Way more memorable. But overall let it be her decision.

I do have a concern and I am going to call you out on it. Few of your post in this thread mentioned "well other went on vacations." Me personally I could careless about other and focus on my dd and family. Just Sayin.

Jun 1, 2013
OP says there are a bunch of injuries. So, the coach did the best he could to have her spot covered because she notified him in advance. So he entered this tournament with plenty of girls and now due to injuries he has 9. Sounds like it isn't his fault but is trying to stay in tournament and is depending on your dd to fullfill her commitment to the team. The team is down due to injuries and a healthy player is choosing the dance instead of helping her team when they need her.

Jun 1, 2013
How many coaches here would feel comfortable with OP's dd if she failed to come to the rescue when her team needed her? 13 or 14 kids on roster, player asks for x date off, you enter showcase in advance with enough girls to cover, you book rooms and spend team money, then you have 3 or 4 injuries and are hurting. How many of you would not be disappointed in the girl that chose a dance over helping her teammates get through this weekend?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I won't comment on your marriage, doesn't change what commitment means though. Ask your wife if you can have a weekend off from what you committed to her x amount of years ago. "But honey, it was just one weekend and she was super hot. I would never get the chance again." See how that works out for you.

Regardless of what comes up, a commitment is something you try your best to live up to. Somethings trump everything, death in the family, etc.

A relevant point only if the prenup stipulated you would be taking a weekend in Vegas off in Fall of 2013.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
The only thing worse than a showcase is one where they don't keep score. Face it. They can be just as social as homecoming at times.

Now nationals....whole 'nother game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This should be a pretty open and shut case for most coaches. If you give me 2 months notice ( like the OP ), no problem, I'll get me a pick up player. This is a showcase, most are not set up for an overall winner. If I'm one player short because you have previous negotiated plans, all I need is a warm body to fill a team. I'm still trying to get 8 other players noticed for their individual talents, not come in first place thru a weekend of brackets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA