Coach upset with DD for going to Homecoming

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
On the other hand Jennie Finch lettered in two other sports in HS, volleyball and basketball. Obviously she did things other then softball.

Perhaps what she thinks is sacrifice, is not what every two bit travel ball coach who wants to have complete control over the entire 52 week year of his/players thinks.

well maybe but she literally said she missed dances, dates, parties and the like. no social time with friends. I am just saying it is a teachable moment. Maybe its time she gets on a different team if you guys feel that way about him and the organization?

Nov 12, 2013
While I believe a coach can be as strict as he/she wants to be in this regard, I'm not at all strict with this. Years down the road, she'll more easily forget the coach ranting about her going more than she will missing the homecoming activities.

our team has girls miss for all kinds of reasons sometime but at that level you should have picked a team based on the fact that girls that age are gonna miss games for stuff. They are more active at that age. We have 11 players now instead of 10 because of that. Girls need to be allowed to miss or they will just find another team that isn't so strict about it. I get both sides. You commit then you should be there. We also put out a schedule at the beginning of the season that has you mark the games you can make and the ones you can't. Then we schedule our tournaments based off of that. If something comes up you have to let us know ASAP so we can get a fill in if needed. I think its her decision to make. Can she not do both? We had a HS tournament on the same day as homecoming. The girls made it. It was rush rush but they made it. My daughter got out of game at 430, to hair appt by 600, picked up by date at 730. It was crazy but they did it.

Oct 10, 2011
our team has girls miss for all kinds of reasons sometime but at that level you should have picked a team based on the fact that girls that age are gonna miss games for stuff. They are more active at that age. We have 11 players now instead of 10 because of that. Girls need to be allowed to miss or they will just find another team that isn't so strict about it. I get both sides. You commit then you should be there. We also put out a schedule at the beginning of the season that has you mark the games you can make and the ones you can't. Then we schedule our tournaments based off of that. If something comes up you have to let us know ASAP so we can get a fill in if needed. I think its her decision to make. Can she not do both? We had a HS tournament on the same day as homecoming. The girls made it. It was rush rush but they made it. My daughter got out of game at 430, to hair appt by 600, picked up by date at 730. It was crazy but they did it.

We would have been about 3 1/2 hours away if there was no traffic and the games started late.
We just had a practice with the team and DD was a little worried about how the coach would act. She went to third when they started batting... The teams fastest girl (Coach's DD) got up, ripped one down the 3rd base line and DD dove and stopped it, rolled over and threw her out at first on her butt. The coach dropped his jaw, walked over to her, helped her up and patted her on the back. He was actually really cool and never said a word about homecoming. I think we're good:) We have been in contact with the other team just in case LOL.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
well maybe but she literally said she missed dances, dates, parties and the like. no social time with friends. I am just saying it is a teachable moment. Maybe its time she gets on a different team if you guys feel that way about him and the organization?

Not my team, but my thought is that coaches want to control too much of the girl's time. Jennie Finch did more then softball, she may have not done "everything" but she found the time to do other things. Too many coaches refuse to let the girls live a life outside of softball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma