Cleats - Steel or Rubber? - Sorry in advance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I need to purchase new cleats for my 14 yo DD this weekend. With the rule changes that went in affect this year, we have the choice to wear steel cleats now. Without getting into a heated debate (hopefully), I am looking for feedback on which to buy. My DD is a pitcher, SS and outfielder. The coaching staff told me that while they "prefer" the girls wear rubber cleats, it is our decision as to what my DD wears.

So..... How do we decide on what to purchase? Pros / Cons of both?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 22, 2012
My DD has the same cleats in both steel and rubber (Ringor) and we might as well get rid of her rubber ones. She made the switch to steel and has never looked back. She is also a pitcher. Why do the coaches want rubber?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
HS rules will permit steel, however a lot of tourneys will say molded only at the 14u bracket... so if you buy steel, be prepared to buy a second pair. IMO get her a pair of Ringor pitcher toes molded rubber ($103.00) and call it a day. But when buying Ringors be sure to buy 1/2 size bigger.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
DD 14U is wearing metal for the first time this year. She has had them 3/4 weeks
now and seems to like them a lot. However, she has not slid with them on yet.

Does she need them??? No......
Do they improve her skill level as a softball player??? Probably not........
Was she happy to get them??? Yes.......

Maybe talk to the other parents on the team and get a feel as to which way everyone else
is going. Most, if not all of DD's team has them, so it's one of those deals. I had no problem
with plastic. Mom however, caved in.

If every tournament you are going to play in allows metal you might as well make the change. I thought 14U was still mostly molded cleats? Once she does start using the metal ones though it is like others have said nobody wants to go back to molded.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD has the same cleats in both steel and rubber (Ringor) and we might as well get rid of her rubber ones. She made the switch to steel and has never looked back. She is also a pitcher. Why do the coaches want rubber?

The coaches are concerned about the safety of other players (catching a cleat while sliding) or our players (catching a cleat and spraining an ankle).

Apr 9, 2012
If you shop properly youll get steel that are noticeably lighter than rubber. My girls love steel. They say they feel faster, dont hold dirt/mud (when pam is applied), and its nice to be level w the ground as rubber makes you stand a bit off the actual level of the ground.

If all this holds true steel does affect your play.

Practice sliding as the mechanics have to be right w steel.

Nov 14, 2011
HS rules will permit steel, however a lot of tourneys will say molded only at the 14u bracket... so if you buy steel, be prepared to buy a second pair. IMO get her a pair of Ringor pitcher toes molded rubber ($103.00) and call it a day. But when buying Ringors be sure to buy 1/2 size bigger.

Our coaching staff is looking into the tourney rules this week and will let me know. I really don't want to buy a second pair of cleats. We have a few pair already, just not the "correct" color now.

We own a pair of Ringors from last year's team. My DD absolutely hates them. Too heavy. I know that Ringor has a mesh version available, but the all leather version are really heavy and that is what we had to purchase then.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If every tournament you are going to play in allows metal you might as well make the change. I thought 14U was still mostly molded cleats? Once she does start using the metal ones though it is like others have said nobody wants to go back to molded.

Asa and utrip both changed to allowing metal 13u and up for 2013.

Nov 14, 2011

Our coaching staff is looking into the tourney rules this week and will let me know. I really don't want to buy a second pair of cleats. We have a few pair already, just not the "correct" color now.

We own a pair of Ringors from last year's team. My DD absolutely hates them. Too heavy. I know that Ringor has a mesh version available, but the all leather version are really heavy and that is what we had to purchase then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs