Chewing out player in front of team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
I'm not going to defend the coach in the OP, but I will say that different players get motivated in different ways. IF the coach thought that this was the best way to motivate this particular player AND the coach was correct and the player improved then it's good coaching. If the coach was chewing on the kid to make the coach feel better about the player losing the game for the coach then the coach is a jerk.

One of my favorite coaching quotes is "Some players need a pat on the back and some need a kick in the @$$" Coaching is like acting. Sometimes you have to show a calm exterior when you ready to explode inside and sometimes you have to show more fire than your really feeling to try to kindle something in a player. If you yell at a kid because it feels good, your a bully. If you yell at a kid because you know you'll get a positive improvement from a kid, your a coach. Personally I gave up yelling at girls about 5 years ago because I didn't find it particularily effective or useful as a motivation and even if it felt good right away, I always felt terrible after. I have run accross girls in the last few years that yelling would have probably worked, but that's something I'm not willing to do anymore just to get a reaction and that's a limitation for me as a coach I can live with.

May 12, 2012
I am new here and just started coaching last season for a now 12u team. I haven't read all the posts here because I was getting more and more mad at reading the OP. This may have been said a few times already, but the way I feel is if we loose a game its MY fault. Maybe I didn't teach them something, maybe I taught them wrong, maybe I wasn't supportive enough, maybe I didn't do my job and pull the pitcher etc...

It's is never one of my girls faults we loose and I tell them that when we do. I tell them I am sorry for letting them down, and I will work with them on the flaws so we can not do them again. I ALWAYS tell them they are winners no matter the score, just for showing up and trying their hardest.

Thats the way I feel at least. This guy should not be a coach for anything.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
Sounds like our HS coach. He hasnt learned (after i dont know how many years) that you cant yell at girls that know already they have screwed up and make them look worse than they already feel in front of everyone. It just makes it worse.

Thats why our team will not ever win with him coaching. The girls lose all respect for him...every year same deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish