Chewing out player in front of team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2009
After a game, the coach tells the pitcher, in front of the entire team, that she lost the game for the team. The pitcher did, in fact, fall apart in the 7th inning. She walked two batters, committed an error, and allowed three hits.

I don't mind telling a player in private that she needs to play better when the game in on the line. I have a problem with the coach telling her that in front of the entire team.

What do you think?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I always thiink it is a good idea to kick a player when they are down and tell them something they already know in a loud voice. I feel better once I get it off my chest and it is all about me.

Edit to add: (Did not see you have only had a few posts. I was just kidding the coach is an idiot)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I have to ask this,did anyone else on the team have a error? I also read that she gave up three hits,how do you know that maybe the batters did their job and just hit the ball.She also walked two batters,how many did she walk in the whole game?Maybe if the rest of the team scored more runs "pitcher included" on that one, maybe they would have won, and wound't have gone in to the last inning ,trying to hold on. Sorry that coach was wrong, and maybe he should take some blame too ,or should take all the blame.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd is on JV, she was called up to varsity for a tourney. The final game of the tourney went 11 innings, the girl who pitched the whole game had an error in the 11th inning and we lost. The coach called her out at the end of game meeting for losing the game. But he said it was not the final play but how she pitched early in the game. After 7 innings it was a 1-1 game so she didn't pitch that bad as far as I can tell. This is the sort of thing tht makes me happy dd did not make Varsity this season.

Dec 28, 2009
Coogan--there is no question the kid (16YOA) did not play well. She really did self-destruct. If she continues to do this, she will lose her role on the team. A coach should ask what is going on and if there was anything that might need to be adjusted. The discussions would be in private and at least a day or two later.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
The coach could have pulled her if she was leading her team towards a loss. He watched the self destruction happen, and its really a game of chance sometimes...chances they won't swing or connect, chances the defense makes the play, etc. He should come to grips with losing and it's not about him as a coach, players should be called out for certain things, blaming a loss on a pitcher who carried you through 6 great innings isn't on the pitcher. Teams lose, but how they come back from it or how they step up the next time matters too. Does he credit her for winning every game too?

Dec 7, 2011
Happens in the D1 leagues - I saw the Penn State coach really coming down hard on her freshman pitcher this last weekend. I am talking it looked like "spit-talk" goin on with finger pointin and all....

But that hopefully was challenge-talk and straight-talk about stepping it up and not the blame-game that your case appears to be. There is a fine line and your case is over-the-top.

Mar 31, 2012
Well as long as it made the coach feel better who cares how it affected a child or even whether it impacted the whole team negatively.

Alot of times parents forget that this game is really about the coach's ego and living vicariously through the kids - well not as often as the kids forget it, they really don't seem to get it all sometimes - and that is exactly why it is necessary to embarrass a child in front of her friends and teamates.

It probably won't come up again for years anyway unless with a therapist.

Remember, there is no "I" in team but there is one in "I"diot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877