Chewing out player in front of team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Coogan--there is no question the kid (16YOA) did not play well. She really did self-destruct. If she continues to do this, she will lose her role on the team. A coach should ask what is going on and if there was anything that might need to be adjusted. The discussions would be in private and at least a day or two later.

I understand. I was just commenting on the way you worded it. After a performance like that, I think saying ''you need to pitch better when the game is on the line'' is not the most helpful thing because it states the obvious and also can be interpreted as 'you let us down.' I think it's better to problem solve, kinda like you're saying above. I think the message should be ''we're in this together, what can we do to play better in these situations.''

Mar 29, 2012
Gave up 3 hits sounds like she was getting the ball over the plate and the batters were doing their jobs.

Maybe he should have screamed at the whole team for not hitting better and scoring more runs, or screamed at the infielders for not making some big plays to stop the hits, or the outfielders for not running down fly balls. Maybe he should have screamed at himself for not bringing in a reliver if the starter was struggling.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have NEVER in all my years ever told a kid she lost the game for us. I don't understand this thinking at all. Run away from this coach is all I have to offer.

Apr 9, 2012
So the rest of the team played flawlessly and batted a 1000% all 7 innings?

Unless this happened the pitcher didnt lose the game.

And allowed 3 hits.......wheres the defense? Pitchers are going to get hit....its the job of the defense to make plays.

Apr 9, 2012
I bet this isnt the first time the coach destroyed his pitchers confidence. No wonder she self destructed....the coach taught her to.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I got to be in the dugout for a tirade of a head coach on his dd at 12u. In her face yelling at her that she "lost the game all by herself". I swore to myself I would never allow something like that to happen again on any team I was involved with. Screaming in someones face is counter-productive to the point of being destructive for many (most?) girls.

Mar 8, 2012
Where's the coaching if the pitcher is apparently tired or falling apart? Some where in the 2 BB, 3 H's and 1E; did he not see that there was an issue?

I hate seeing or hearing about this. I've seen teams torn apart by overly aggressive tirades when the whole team saw the obvious
mistakes. Just like blasting one player about her losing the game for the team, spending 30 minutes recounting each and every error doesn't help either.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
12U: Saw a 3B coach who was so busy screaming "Dammit Susie" at the girl who got tagged diving back to 3rd, that he apparently forgot there was a runner rounding 2nd behind her....and that the ball was still live.
Fortunately, they overthrew 2B instead of catching her in a run down, and she made it home on her own initiative.

Oct 19, 2009
There are eight other kids on the field, plus a number of kids in the dugout and a few coaches there also, blaming one player or coach for a loss is just plain wrong. This maybe a good coach who had a bad moment or a bad coach at his/her worst.

I tell kids we win as a team and we lose as a team.

IMO good teams find ways to win in spite of errors, walks, hits, strikeouts or mistakes.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
There are eight other kids on the field, plus a number of kids in the dugout and a few coaches there also, blaming one player or coach for a loss is just plain wrong. This maybe a good coach who had a bad moment or a bad coach at his/her worst.

I tell kids we win as a team and we lose as a team.

IMO good teams find ways to win in spite of errors, walks, hits, strikeouts or mistakes.

This ^^^ I will add though, I have made quite a few mistakes coaching, some may have even contributed to a loss. When we have our team meeting I will tell them that I made a mistake (and tell them what it was). The first time I did this the girls looked at me dumbfounded, it was great. The way I see it if I can tell a player what she did wrong, darn well I better tell them when I did something wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877