Catching a true fastball!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2011
So my DD is a 12u player that has caught both 12 and 14u for pitchers that all have 55-63 mph fastballs so the dads say. I take her tonight for her pitching lesson and the instructor asks if she has her gear with her tonight. DD says yea and he tells her to strap up. She climbs in and squats down 40 feet from a 11 year old that is probably 5-11. Pitching coach asks her if shes ready DD says sure just sitting back and first pitch clangs of the top of her mask LOL. After about 5 minutes she gets the hang of it and gets a free catching lesson on movement pitches. Even the fastball rotates enough to walk a few inchs each time.

Now DD gets to catch her each week before her pitching leeson and is super stoked. Before we head out DD asks the kid what her fastball is and she pulls out a scout report from a recruiting clinic that has her at 56 mph.

We get in the car and says that report must be wrong cause if our pitcher is throwing 60 that had to be at least 70. I almost died laughing and told her no that was a true mid 50's fastball and some parents just lie.

Had to share that with everyone taught DD a good lesson and removed a little swelling from her head which everyone needs now and then.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Good read cwest. I get a lot of bragging form dad's about 50 mph pitchers at age 9...When I watch they are every bit 37 mph - maybe 42 on the occasional pitch where their fundamentals are in line. To which I just nod and say nothing. :p

Nov 29, 2009
I was searching Youtube for a video of a dad and grandpa using a radar gun to clock a young girl. As the pitch came in grandpa was lunging at the ball with the gun then reading off the speed. It was hysterical. If the old boy lunged any harder he would have hurt his back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ha! I bet that she isn't over 40 mph. Do you notice how she has a natural IR and then 2 seconds later, throws her arm up into a hello elbow?

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I was eating lunch while watching this and almost lost a bite of my sandwich from laughter.
This is exactly what happens. WOW Look how fast my DD pitches....seriously? Sorry. Normally I do not mock
bu could not resist here:eek:

Oct 19, 2009
A couple of years ago I was coaching a 10u game and asked my wife to go clock one of our pitchers. She did and after we got three outs she decided to stay there and clock the opposing pitcher as well. After a few pitches, that opposing pitchers' mom came up to my wife and threw an absolute fit and told her she was going to have her removed. If you know my wife, she won't back down from anyone (including me) no matter how big and fat they are so she stood there even longer than she had planned to just to eat at that broad.

Come to find out that kid's mom had everyone on her team convinced her dd was throwing 50mph. Turns out it was 40-41. We're still laughing about it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When DD was younger and speed was on the chest of every parent I carried around 2 radar guns. One was dead on by my State Trooper friend and the other was 6-7 mph under. Killing time between games I'd make my rounds with the under gun. Man I made some folks mad as hell. And my coaches and parents would laugh their butts off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish