Catcher's Mitt Input Sought

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
My daughter is a 10U catcher with pretty small hands. I got the 31.5" All-Star catcher's mitt, but it looks like a pretty small pocket. She is moving up to 12U this fall and the ball size goes up to 12". I am thinking this mitt will be unusable at the 12U level. I just purchased a 32" Shoeless Joe mitt. It was spendy but looks nice.

Shoeless Joe Shoeless Jane Fastpitch Series: 3200FPCM Catcher's Mitt

Does anyone have experience with these mitts? I don't see much about them. Most of the mitts look too big and are really stiff. I know people like the Vinci JCV-22 but it has a long break-in time. She has pretty small hands, so I need to find something that she can squeeze adequately but that will have no problem holding a 12" ball. Thanks!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My daughter is a 10U catcher with pretty small hands. I got the 31.5" All-Star catcher's mitt, but it looks like a pretty small pocket. She is moving up to 12U this fall and the ball size goes up to 12". I am thinking this mitt will be unusable at the 12U level. I just purchased a 32" Shoeless Joe mitt. It was spendy but looks nice.

Shoeless Joe Shoeless Jane Fastpitch Series: 3200FPCM Catcher's Mitt

Does anyone have experience with these mitts? I don't see much about them. Most of the mitts look too big and are really stiff. I know people like the Vinci JCV-22 but it has a long break-in time. She has pretty small hands, so I need to find something that she can squeeze adequately but that will have no problem holding a 12" ball. Thanks!

At this age I always recommend the Mizuno GXS92. Comes almost broken in, costs $60 and is outstanding. I use this as a coach as well.

When they get to HS they can buy the $150-$300 forever glove.

Aug 2, 2011
Marriard, it is a 34" glove. My daughter has small hands, and she is diving all over the place trying to block her 10U pitchers. I think this glove will be too big and unwieldly. You say you use the same glove. How can the same glove fit you and a 10U player? Thanks for the suggestion.

May 17, 2012
The Shoeless Jane fielding gloves are great. The come broken in and ready to use. I can't recommend these gloves enough.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Marriard, it is a 34" glove. My daughter has small hands, and she is diving all over the place trying to block her 10U pitchers. I think this glove will be too big and unwieldly. You say you use the same glove. How can the same glove fit you and a 10U player? Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's my 9yo DD (4'-9", 83 lbs.) with a GXS92 from some recent tournaments...
DSC06921-2_zps3451e5c2.jpg

7d0df08b-0500-4c60-8fe9-fc725bf42761_zps0b9c2c19.jpg

Aug 2, 2011
Eric, are those the Evo-shield wrist protectors on your DD? My daughter is getting some bruises on her forearms when blocking. Those Evo-shield protectors are rigid, which I assume would interfere with throwing and catching.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, are those the Evo-shield wrist protectors on your DD? My daughter is getting some bruises on her forearms when blocking. Those Evo-shield protectors are rigid, which I assume would interfere with throwing and catching.

The rigid protective plate on the EvoShield arm/wrist guards doesn't go all the way around. My DD wears the plate on the inside for additional blocking protection, and they are very effective. As you can see from the pics, they are worn on the forearm above the wrist joint. They don't get in the way of her movement at all.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

It has an adjustable strap on the back so it fits small hands as well as large.

All our catchers have used it since 10U and we are now ending our 1st year in 12U. It is nice and light and it it catches everything. It is the opposite of large and unwieldy. They all have this glove because they kept stealing mine and eventually once they had committed to the position I told their parents they needed one of their own.

Catchers gloves are not measured like fielding gloves, so the 34" is a bit misleading in terms of size. It is a great size for any travel catcher.

Great glove for the price. Best value for money and quality in this price range. The Shoeless and Vinci and Nokonas are all great gloves and are all awesome - but in this age group you are better spending the money on better bats over the most expensive fielding/catching gloves.

Nov 1, 2008
I've been using a mizuno franchise excel gxs91 for about 5 years to catch my DD. Some of the girls have used it from time to time. I paid about $70 for it. I'm very happy with it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
All of the Easton catcher's mitts I've seen have been very light for their size, and would be a decent choice for girls who struggle with heavier mitts.

That said, my DD adapted to the weight of the GXS92 pretty quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00