Catcher's mitt for dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
My daughter pitches. I catch for her most of the time while she is training during the week and about half the time for her lessons.

I'm trying to find a decent, not amazing and not trash, catcher's mitt for me. Her velocity seemingly is getting higher by the week (maybe an exaggeration but no doubt it keeps increasing). The ol' Wilson infielder glove isn't cutting it anymore.

Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the Marucci Palmetto or Magnolia models. I can get either for a decent price right now or maybe a Rawlings Liberty.

My main concern is I'm worried a fastpitch specific catcher's mitt may not fit my hands. That said, my hands aren't huge. There's no holding 8 baseballs at once a la Johnnie Bench going on in my future. Heck, I can't even palm a basketball.

Thanks y'all.

May 6, 2015
CMW3001 might work, much to my chagrin I have caught DDs coaches wearing it while warming up a pitcher, have had her politely ask them not to use, but they seemed to have no issues getting it on. ;)

Sep 7, 2020
I picked up a Wilson A950 from Dicks two weeks ago after my previous mitt was "misplaced" at a tournament the week before. If an adult 34" baseball specific mitt and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I'm sure over the next several weeks it will break in better but it's stiff as heck right now. Tons of padding.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I made the decision at 14U to by a Vinci and couldn’t be happier. Going in to senior year and this thing has tons of life left in it. Great padding and well built. Good luck!

Similarly, I just bought a Rawlings HOH catchers mitt. My DD is in 12U but been pitching 2 years and shows zero signs of stopping. I'd rather buy one really amazing mitt that lasts "forever" than one that may still sting, may not be the best I can get, and probably gets replaced at some point.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If I'm spending my money, it'll be one of these three!

*An All-Star.
*A Vinci.
*Or a HOH off of the custom builder.

Just depends where you're at with your budget?

Note.....never seen or held a Magnolia before, nice looking mitt though!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Just to add, my DD has a Marucci Magnolia mitt (bought last summer) and loves it. I've never had my hand in it so can't speak to the sizing aspect except to say her hands are probably on the larger size of average. ;-) I have used her old Vinci and Liberty Advanced and between those two the Liberty fit my paw better.

Apr 26, 2019
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. Still not sure which I'll end up with other than maybe rule out the Marucci Palmetto. The one review I read wasn't great. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 16, 2016
I bought a Rawlings Players Preferred 33" model catchers glove from Amazon for < $50. It works great, broke in really quickly, just wish I would've picked it up a couple years ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles