Specific recommendations for catcher's mitt, please!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure why a long break in period is a problem..you just have to plan your glove buying ahead of time. Estimating when you will need a new glove usually isn't that difficult (unlike bats breaking..) unless you switch positions (in which case I can see needing a shorter break in period).
This right here, simple!

Apr 21, 2019
have to concur with AnnasDAD, DD (2007) uses a CMW3000, loves it, has great pop, and no issues with balls coming out receiving or making tag plays. I would see if you can open it up, beat the pocket, ,maybe even loosen the laces around pocket a bit. althouth what I found was that after getting it broken in, I had to tighten some of the laces a bit, maybe that is it, is ball popping out maybe because it is too loose, not too small?

Also, do not let your DDs coaches use their mitts. current coaches for DD all have hands about twice the size of hers. I am gooing to remind them all this weekend not to use her mitt to warm up a pitcher if Dd is occupied (one of them did it couple weeks ago while DD finished eating in between games, did not notice till her handed it to her to finish the warmup :mad:)

My daughter’s head coach is a female with small hands.
The other coaches didn’t use it, just looked at it.
I will definitely take a look at pounding it out more and potentially loosening the laces!!

Apr 21, 2019
The Akadema FP gloves are garbage. Have tried both versions of the catchers mitt and both are sub-par.

Vinci are the best padding and are tanks. Great FP catchers glove. We have one of these all-stars and after a year and a half of trying to get it playable it finally works. It's been buried with a ball or two and wrapped and has a decent pocket. Definitely a different feel than other catchers gloves though.
So you would recommend a Vinci over the All-Star? Any particular model to keep in mind?

Apr 21, 2019
Not sure why a long break in period is a problem..you just have to plan your glove buying ahead of time. Estimating when you will need a new glove usually isn't that difficult (unlike bats breaking..) unless you switch positions (in which case I can see needing a shorter break in period).

That's why I am asking now because if I am going to get her a new mitt I'd like to have it well on its way by spring tournament season.
I will fully admit, though, that we ARE NOT good at breaking in mitts. We SUCK at it (which is why the CMW3000 sat around for 12-18 months while she continued to use her crap, broken-down Mizuno).
I am also going to work on breaking in my Liberty Advanced to see if she likes it and if it's more comfortable once it's broken in (which I am sure it will be).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's why I am asking now because if I am going to get her a new mitt I'd like to have it well on its way by spring tournament season.
I will fully admit, though, that we ARE NOT good at breaking in mitts. We SUCK at it (which is why the CMW3000 sat around for 12-18 months while she continued to use her crap, broken-down Mizuno).
I am also going to work on breaking in my Liberty Advanced to see if she likes it and if it's more comfortable once it's broken in (which I am sure it will be).

I get after breaking in gloves/mitts the way a Mafia debt-collector goes after kneecaps. It still took multiple months to get my DD's Vinci JCV34 into playing shape. She absolutely loves it. Unfortunately, she has recently joined a Wilson-only team, and will have to give it up the Vinci for an A2000.

Jun 8, 2016
I bought my DD a new glove (Pro 206) over 3 months ago. I don't plan on having her use it in a game till March at the earliest. We have been playing catch with it whenever we work and she has started taking a few grounders with it everytime I hit them to her before she uses her game glove, only balls right at and to her forehand right now. As it gets more broken in I will expand the types of balls I hit to her with it.

Breaking in a glove is like dating, give it a good amount of time to get comfortable with it until you are ready to use (marry) it...or something like that (and yes I just compared my wife to a glove, an @ANNASDAD approved comparison I am sure :LOL:)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Breaking in a glove is like dating, give it a good amount of time to get comfortable with it until you are ready to use (marry) it...or something like that (and yes I just compared my wife to a glove, an @ANNASDAD approved comparison I am sure :LOL:)
Genius, I approve of this message!

Apr 28, 2019
I would say it’s like getting a hot bat out of the wrapper . You want to use it right away and get the best results. Sure you could buy a bat that takes hundreds/thousands of swings to reach it’s full potential but why? It could break just as you get it where you want it. Then what? start the process all over again?
If I buy something I need it now and want to use it early and often. Personally I’m not looking for a family heirloom when I purchase a glove. Just something good that will last a few years.
I’m not a glove collector. I want to use the equipment for what it was designed for not put it on a shelf and admire it. No patience for year long break-in process.
I guess some of you just enjoy the process more than I do.
Two weeks is all it takes. Play catch often, glove conditioner, under the old mattress with a ball inside, presto new glove ready to go. Next glove please.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say it’s like getting a hot bat out of the wrapper . You want to use it right away and get the best results. Sure you could buy a bat that takes hundreds/thousands of swings to reach it’s full potential but why? It could break just as you get it where you want it. Then what? start the process all over again?
If I buy something I need it now and want to use it early and often. Personally I’m not looking for a family heirloom when I purchase a glove. Just something good that will last a few years.
I’m not a glove collector. I want to use the equipment for what it was designed for not put it on a shelf and admire it. No patience for year long break-in process.
I guess some of you just enjoy the process more than I do.
Two weeks is all it takes. Play catch often, glove conditioner, under the old mattress with a ball inside, presto new glove ready to go. Next glove please.
Unlike a bat, the longer it takes to break in a glove typically the longer it lasts. Also unlike a bat gloves don't break like that.

I don't collect gloves either..I use my daughter's 11.25" glove she used when she was 7YO which her grandmother bought from Walmart. I also don't collect bats..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00