Specific recommendations for catcher's mitt, please!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I would say it’s like getting a hot bat out of the wrapper . You want to use it right away and get the best results. Sure you could buy a bat that takes hundreds/thousands of swings to reach it’s full potential but why? It could break just as you get it where you want it. Then what? start the process all over again?
If I buy something I need it now and want to use it early and often. Personally I’m not looking for a family heirloom when I purchase a glove. Just something good that will last a few years.
I’m not a glove collector. I want to use the equipment for what it was designed for not put it on a shelf and admire it. No patience for year long break-in process.
I guess some of you just enjoy the process more than I do.
Two weeks is all it takes. Play catch often, glove conditioner, under the old mattress with a ball inside, presto new glove ready to go. Next glove please.
You and I are completely different animals, heirlooms are awesome!!

Apr 28, 2019
Unlike a bat, the longer it takes to break in a glove typically the longer it lasts. Also unlike a bat gloves don't break like that.

I don't collect gloves either..I use my daughter's 11.25" glove she used when she was 7YO which her grandmother bought from Walmart. I also don't collect bats..
Always with a bat reference.... And no cell phone... You don’t seem like the typical high-end aficionado via the Walmart reference. Laces do snap.
Like anything else right tool for needed application. You can go cheap, you can go practical, or you can go all-in over the top “bat” shirt crazy!!!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
In certain things that appreciate I would agree. Classic cars, real estate, fine wine, coins, sports memorabilia.... (that doesn’t include gloves I purchased for use).
Trust me, I’m into cars, properties, land, not wine though, and I still throw nice gloves into the mix! It’s all about what ya like!

Jun 8, 2016
Always with a bat reference.... And no cell phone... You don’t seem like the typical high-end aficionado via the Walmart reference. Laces do snap.
Like anything else right tool for needed application. You can go cheap, you can go practical, or you can go all-in over the top “bat” shirt crazy!!!
Edit: NVM..not sure why I let you annoy the sh*^ out of me.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Throwing this into the mix since it's been mentioned in this thread but I don't believe that a baseball mitt is as easily adapted to fastpitch as a baseball glove is. The design, thickness of the padding along the outer edge are usually significantly different and will effect the way it plays. Now, a glove is a different story...currently have two BB gloves in different stages of the break in process that are intended to be solely used with a softball. My Pitcher DD just used her new All Star System Seven glove for the first time yesterday in a game (State Tourney). Break in wasn't too intense or difficult for that glove, only been about 5 weeks of off/on practice use, several beatings and staying wrapped. The Rawlings ProPreferred is taking longer...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00