Catcher's mitt for dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. Still not sure which I'll end up with other than maybe rule out the Marucci Palmetto. The one review I read wasn't great. 🤷‍♂️
The Rawlings Liberty has the biggest hand/finger stalls of all the fastpitch mitts I have tried on and that includes Wilson. Mizuno, Nokona and All Star. I currently use a Pro 44 baseball mitt and even though it's a 35" model, it's a pain because it's just not deep enough, so balls are constantly popping out. I recommend going with a fastpitch mitt.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
CMW3001 might work, much to my chagrin I have caught DDs coaches wearing it while warming up a pitcher, have had her politely ask them not to use, but they seemed to have no issues getting it on. ;)

DD’s velocity went up and my old mitt wasn’t cutting it. Bought the CMW3001 at the recommendation of another thread. I’ve loved it so far. Also gives a nice pop. I have skinner hands and have had no issue with fit.

Nov 18, 2015
I'm several years into my Liberty Advanced - I can't palm a basketball either, but a "Medium" size golf glove is too tight. No issues with sizing on the LA. Easy break-in, have yet to get a "stinger" on a finger, although once I think I almost jammed my thumb - but that was more me catching incorrectly. Great glove, but the price seems to have gone up in the last few years, so you may just want to go with the All-Star (there's a coupon code from a few months ago in one of my other threads - it may still work). (Buyer beware - you may need ear plugs with the All-Star - if you catch it right - it really pops!)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I'm several years into my Liberty Advanced - I can't palm a basketball either, but a "Medium" size golf glove is too tight. No issues with sizing on the LA. Easy break-in, have yet to get a "stinger" on a finger, although once I think I almost jammed my thumb - but that was more me catching incorrectly. Great glove, but the price seems to have gone up in the last few years, so you may just want to go with the All-Star (there's a coupon code from a few months ago in one of my other threads - it may still work). (Buyer beware - you may need ear plugs with the All-Star - if you catch it right - it really pops!)

I love the pop of the All-Star. When warming DD up for games she always gets looks from the other team because of the sound. Makes her sound faster than she is lol

I will say the All-Star has taken time to break in. But that could be due to my inexperience breaking in a catchers mitt.

To me it has been worth the money spent.

Nov 8, 2020
When my kid was 8, I got an Easton Synergy to catch her from the bucket, it worked pretty well til she was about 11 and the ball started moving more and faster, that's when I got a Louisville Slugger LXT Fastpitch glove, it fit my hand better than the A2000 or Heart of the Hide gloves of the time fit. The LXT worked until she got to almost 14 when she started to consistently hit 60 MPH and I decided it was time to sit sideways on the bucket to protect my jewbs. At that point I went all in and purchased an All Star CM3000BT which is a baseball catchers mitt but is 35" and is easily the nicest catchers mitt I have ever used. Even catchers from my kids team have used it for a bullpen session or to warm her up and have said they preferred it to their own gloves.

But I do have a very nice Rawlings Heart of the Hide that's new old stock that I got while searching out a glove for myself. The thing has never been broken in but has to be 20+ years old. It's available to a good home.20210618_150540.jpg
0f7d65cafc974a923cc0ef897e1c975a.jpg
40823e7a0fc4bd9ff2677722d27d2c7e.jpg
f991eeef95be334be9f0c0a2e333b63e.jpg
d6c3fa96311744b4024965f7c3cf0862.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2021
I was in a very similar situation this Spring. Based discussions on DFP I ended up getting an All-Star CM3200SBT (33.5") from Dicks and it's working out well for a bucket dad for DD pitching and rec coach. Sign up for the text messaging and you may get a $20 off $100 purchase so you will need to get one tube of GU at $1.49 to push it over the $100 point. For hand stall sizing comparison I usually need XL medical exam gloves as the L fit a bit too snug for my preference. The All-star mitt fits my hand very well and I tighten the wrist strap as tight as it will go and with moderate effort I can remove the mitt without undoing the strap. Break-in took about two days of casual catch with DD. Let me know if you would like more info or pics.

Feb 14, 2019
My daughter pitches. I catch for her most of the time while she is training during the week and about half the time for her lessons.

I'm trying to find a decent, not amazing and not trash, catcher's mitt for me. Her velocity seemingly is getting higher by the week (maybe an exaggeration but no doubt it keeps increasing). The ol' Wilson infielder glove isn't cutting it anymore.

Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the Marucci Palmetto or Magnolia models. I can get either for a decent price right now or maybe a Rawlings Liberty.

My main concern is I'm worried a fastpitch specific catcher's mitt may not fit my hands. That said, my hands aren't huge. There's no holding 8 baseballs at once a la Johnnie Bench going on in my future. Heck, I can't even palm a basketball.

Thanks y'all.
I picked up a Wilson Onyx a couple of years ago for like $60 and it's been great for a relatively inexpensive glove.

May 28, 2019
My daughter pitches. I catch for her most of the time while she is training during the week and about half the time for her lessons.

I'm trying to find a decent, not amazing and not trash, catcher's mitt for me. Her velocity seemingly is getting higher by the week (maybe an exaggeration but no doubt it keeps increasing). The ol' Wilson infielder glove isn't cutting it anymore.

Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the Marucci Palmetto or Magnolia models. I can get either for a decent price right now or maybe a Rawlings Liberty.

My main concern is I'm worried a fastpitch specific catcher's mitt may not fit my hands. That said, my hands aren't huge. There's no holding 8 baseballs at once a la Johnnie Bench going on in my future. Heck, I can't even palm a basketball.

Thanks y'all.

marucci magnolia wouldn't be a bad deal if you get your hands on a team discount at 30%. That puts the glove at 140 plus tax/shipp

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Wow Schmick that is an awesome looking glove. If I wasn’t on the backside of catching my daughter I may be interested in acquiring that one!
Yeah I was strongly admiring it last night! Can’t quite make out the model number, meant to ask him what it is earlier today. I’m a sucker for older round logos, and made in the U.S.A. it looks like Horween!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles