Catchers Helmets ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Just brought the teams catcher equipment home so my DD could practice with it at home and it may be a bit of a mistake . The Helmet is an Wilson A3067 and my DD likes the way it fits but it is "GROSS!!" inside . She doesn't seem to care much but one of the few things that bothers me is nasty old helmets .

My Helmet OCD says this thing has got to go back in the bag and she should get her own helmet . I am curious what other girls are using and what they like . Any input would be helpful in at least narrowing down what exactly we will look at . She is 12 but I don't think she has a lot of growth left in her since she is almost the same size as her 15 YO sister .

Sep 19, 2011
1st for sure get your own helmet, cost u more to deal with lice than to buy a new helmet (no sharing our your daughters helmet btw)

i say go try them out and see which fits her best.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Every kid fits differently. When my dd and my ds were catching I took them to the store and had them try on every one until they found one they like. My dd (14 yo) has a really nice helmet that came with the rest of her gear and it sits in her closet while she wears the same one I bought her when she was 9. Its all about fit and comfort.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If she likes it, wash it. I always washed all of the league batting helmets and catching gear in lysol and Dawn, in hot water in my bath tub.

But, women's hair products can effect the pads in the older helmets, if it isn't fixable, I think it should be tossed.

Apr 1, 2010
Yep, every kid is different. She should definitely try on as many as possible to see which she likes.

Back when I didn't know better I saw a great deal and bought DD a nice hockey style helmet that she hated--luckily I was able to take it back. DD wanted the Adidas climacool that was kind of a hybrid between the old and new styles and was sold exclusively at Dick's few years ago.

I had to pay retail, which I hated, but it turned out to be for the best. She's still using it two years later and it has an adjustment knob in the back, so it's grown with her. She's been ok with shin guards and chest protectors that I bought on the internet, but I guess helmets are more like gloves: they have to be right for her.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Here there are very few choices in styles of catcher's helmets. But my dd has always had her own gear and since she is little, she has only shared with 1 girl on her school ball team who she happens to be close friends with. If it was me, I would go get her her own helmet. I put my dd's on one time and the smell almost made me pass out. She doesn't even notice....

Jul 11, 2009
This is the helmet my daughter uses. Wilson Silver Shock FX Catchers Helmets
She loves it. You won't believe the difference the little shock absorbers make when she takes a foul tip to the mask. She says it is also comfortable and pretty light weight. Good Luck with whatever you choose for her.

Sep 19, 2011
This is the helmet my daughter uses. Wilson Silver Shock FX Catchers Helmets
She loves it. You won't believe the difference the little shock absorbers make when she takes a foul tip to the mask. She says it is also comfortable and pretty light weight. Good Luck with whatever you choose for her.

I'll second the Wilson Shock although her's is different than the one linked above.

WILSON WOMENS GOLD SERIES CATCHERS HELMET

just wondering, what the weight like on this catchers helmet, compared to say the rawlings catchers helmet

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Don't know about the weight on the rawlings but I know the Wilson is not a heavy helmet. It seems most catchers like it due to the good vision it allows.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA