Catching Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
I purchased, at different times over the last two months, catching equipment for my daughter - much thought went into all of it - too much thought actually LOL. She is 10, just a bit over 5' tall at the moment, and I didn't want to spend $400+ on equipment that may or may not fit her after the next growth spurt she will have; so that mostly ruled out sets of The Very Best and AFx. So I went with safe and affordable bets for the most part. I bought 14" Optimus Pro Leg Guards and a youth sized Optimus Pro Chest Protector, both from ChampPro, a brand I trusted when I umpired. But for the helmet, I debated between an All-Star MVP and a Jenn Schro Very Best - and the Jenn Schro won out for two reasons...(1) it was lighter and it seemed to fit her better - All-Star felt much heavier; and (2) the sizing worked out better for my DD. The "youth" helmet went to a size 7 on the All-Star MVP and to 7 1/4 on the Easton - so the Easton seemed like a better selection as she can use it for a couple of years likely.
After 4 games this past Sunday, everything has worked great - she is happy with the equipment. I am too. But after her next big growth spurt, I am thinking All-Star gear...it looks like quality...although, the Jen Schro helmet worked out great and she says it is super comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG-2850.jpg
    IMG-2850.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 33

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Both All-Star and Easton sets are fantastic equipment. I have had many customers praise both with only a few complaints. The gear does get expensive, so try and get as much mileage out of them before upgrading to save yourself a few bucks.

One key element to remember is to clean the gear every so often. It will help get rid of the stink and extend the life somewhat.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
@Eric F is an expert on catcher's gear. My DD loves her All-Star gear, but she is just the backup catcher.

Not any more. When I was buying gear on a regular basis for my growing DD, I kept up with what was on the market, and how it compared. My DD has been using an Easton Pro-X helmet (same as the Schro Best), a Wilson ProMotion chest (discontinued, found on eBay), and All Star System 7 Axis legs for a few years. This mix is her preference for fit and function. Being matchy-matchy has never been a concern. She's used different helmets and chest protectors over the years, but has used only All-Star legs since she was 10. I think she is on her 4th or 5th different set right now.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We've had a variety over the years. Last year DD got a set of the All Star gear in college...likes it with the exception of the chest protector. For her it just doesn't fit the way she likes.

Jun 4, 2019
Does anyone on here sell allstar or Jen schro gear. Or do you have to go to the big stores to buy it. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28