catcher's helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
Since DD2s helmet has been through at least 2 seasons, I am going to replace it......it's been through enough at this point, I'm of the belief that there's only so many dings a helmet can take before it starts to lose protective value

she's been a huge fan of the Schutt Airmaxx......but finding one of those right now seems hard to do, unless my google skills have diminished

so what say you all on other helmets.....give me some reviews

she loved the field of vision on the schutt - was comfortable, fit well

Jul 11, 2023
Are you in proximity to a specialty store where you can try on a variety of helmets? If not, Amazon's return policy becomes your friend from what I gather in talking with other parents.

Force3 I believe is still the pinnacle of safety. But common complaints are that it is heavy and ugly.

The All-Star MVP Pro is well regarded from my baseball peers. My DD is currently using the step down from that. Has a couple of names depending on if you're in the baseball or softball lineups. MVP2510 I believe is the actual model number. Being 11U and the average velocity we're currently receiving, it's sufficient. But if someone takes a jump, we'll be in the MVP Pro.

If that second tier All-Star is suitable for you, the All-Star mix lab is open. You could order something with some wild color combos if that carries any value.

Our only other helmet has been the one that came with the Easton Jen Schro fundamentals set. She has no real opinion of it since it was the first helmet that fit her correctly. So anything seemed like an upgrade. Plus, I overruled mom and let her get a white set. Looks shouldn't matter, but for some they do. So best becomes suggestive. There may be a scientific best, but the best is whatever you'll wear and use properly. The best equipment used poorly is no longer the best if that makes sense.

Finally, I don't have them bookmarked like I thought. But look up @Eric F I think his DD battled some concussions, but I found a ton of value in their posts on how to evaluate helmets for safety.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Never take it off. Leave helmet on for all plays. Foul balls, throws to home, past balls and wild pitches. This is an example where old school, stuck in the mud, refuse to change or reconsider coaching can cause serious and unnecessary injury. Helmet designs have greaty improved over the years and vision is no longer compromise. Leave it on. I cringe every time I see a catcher rip off her helmet on a play at the plate. First of all your helmet shouldn't be so easy to rip off. You want a snug fit, too.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Best helmet right now, to me, is the all star MVP Pro. My DD catches and I've been a stern believer in certain technologies in helmets.

My rankings
1-All Star MVP Pro
2-Rawlings Mach
3-Evoshield Pro-SRZ

May 20, 2015
Never take it off. Leave helmet on for all plays. Foul balls, throws to home, past balls and wild pitches. This is an example where old school, stuck in the mud, refuse to change or reconsider coaching can cause serious and unnecessary injury. Helmet designs have greaty improved over the years and vision is no longer compromise. Leave it on. I cringe every time I see a catcher rip off her helmet on a play at the plate. First of all your helmet shouldn't be so easy to rip off. You want a snug fit, too.

just had this discussion w/ another coach and some catchers @ practice the other day......of the same philosophy

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Your eyes do not deceive you, Tim. Schutt left the baseball/softball business a little while back to focus on football. They made fantastic helmets and shin guards. They were the only batting helmets I knew of that allowed for interchangeable helmet pads that allowed the helmet to stay with the girl as she grew.

I like the All-Star, Easton JS, and the Evoshield. The Evoshield is very expensive, even with my discount, but the ones I have sold rave about it.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Your eyes do not deceive you, Tim. Schutt left the baseball/softball business a little while back to focus on football. They made fantastic helmets and shin guards. They were the only batting helmets I knew of that allowed for interchangeable helmet pads that allowed the helmet to stay with the girl as she grew.

I like the All-Star, Easton JS, and the Evoshield. The Evoshield is very expensive, even with my discount, but the few I have sold rave about it.

going to try and see if we can try on the all-star & the easton JS/pro somewhere....

Nov 18, 2015
I'd still consider the Force3 if you can get hands on one - I have the 2 piece for baseball - it is heavier, but also 5+ years old at this point. I know they've gone through a slight design change on the hockey helmet - the first iteration wasn't the most attractive style-wise. But the spring system works.

I was able to find a Wilson ShockFX (sp?) a few years ago, but doubt you'll find any of those un-used at this point. I like All-Star as well - they've done a lot of video's and podcasts on the baseball side that re-assures me they have player safety as a priority, if not THE priority.

+1 for EricF's old posts - especially on the padding and screw / bracket placement for the cage attachment points.

Jan 5, 2024
I encourage you to check out the latest catchers helmet by Force3. They recently released the third iteration, and it is pretty great. I use the traditional V2 umpire mask, and it has already made its return on investment within 2 years of ownership. I don't get hit often, but now when I do, some mom in the the stands is more worried about the shot to my face than I am. link It is called the XS3. Also, they are running a sale that if you buy the chest protector for catchers, it comes with shin guards (about $160 set free).

May 29, 2015
Was going to say some of the things already said, so I'll just "co-sign" them!

@DeMaris.Umpire brought up the new Force3. I haven't seen it or heard much of anything about it yet (other than umpires were hoping for a different announcement).

@LEsoftballdad mentioned Schutt's exit . . . sort of. The company that bought them up has bought several different brands and is reportedly in the process of streamlining and rebranding their different lines. That process has been . . . very slow. If you see Tucci products, those are the new brand for the baseball and softball line. They were a bat company, but now have bats, batting gloves, and batter protective gear. They have a reversible chest protector available, but it is not listed on their own site. I've also seen a mask only (not a catcher's HSM), but information on it is hard to find (other than it is magnesium) also.

And, as @Rolling Hard said, there is NO reason or need for a catcher to EVER remove their helmet on the field. Coaches who teach this should be avoided until they get with the times. That was technique taught back when I was a catcher and there was no such thing as a one-piece helmet/mask. You removed your mask because it was a removable piece that was apt to fall off during action (sorry, never bought the whole site-line bit). STOP TEACHING THIS and learn how to play the game with modern equipment.

Finally, MAJOR KUDOS to the OP, @tim_s , for recognizing that gear does not last forever and parents should NOT wait until something BREAKS or wears out to replace it. Our protective gear for catchers, batters, and umpires is made out of foam and plastic. Foam loses elasticity (the squishy factor that absorbs the impacts) and plastic gets brittle over time (meaning it transfers more of the impact or is more apt to crack or break). Sunlight, sweat, time, temperature changes, impacts, the way we treat our gear . . . these things are all long-term enemies of protective gear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles