Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
My dd was a picker until she quit catching At 12. And was pretty good at it. But it bit her more than a few times with BR advancing.

I wish she still played catcher and I’m glad she no longer plays catcher....

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN

I found one more on DD’s travel team website. It was the one I was looking for earlier today. You can hear ball hit the plate, then glove. BR hesitates and gets picked off. If she drops and blocks doesn’t get the pick. Definitely a skill to add for your catchers.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Back to softball last night after DD took a break once fall ball ended. She did catch some crap from her catching instructor when she pulled her leg pads out of her bag and they still had dirt from her last game on them and she was supposed to be practicing at home lol.

Warning, audio is a bit loud due to my sitting fairly close to her instructor.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

For those looking for a visual, here is an example of picking a ball in the dirt that most catchers block. You can hear the ball hit the ground then the mitt. Base runner recognizes ball is going to hit the ground and expects DD to block. Watch the runner take the extra step when she recognizes this. That extra step is what allows the pick. DD was taught this from 10U by her travel coach.

Can we give the 2nd baseman some props?

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA

It was good awareness and a solid play. Nothing more frustrating than having the catcher make a good stop on a dirt pitch then pop up to throw a runner out and there is nobody on or close to the base.

I keep telling my DD to throw it to the spot, not the player. If you throw it, the SS or 2B will realize they should be there to catch it and start to be more aware of the runners.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Yes we can! That young lady is two years older than my DD. She is a speedy player and excellent placement slapper with power to burn the outfield if they cheat in too much. Was TN AA All State at least two years. Played two years of JUCO and I believe she’s going to a D2 in KY.

DD has been blessed to play with amazing teammates throughout her softball career. DD has always been a gunslinger with coaches who gave her the green light to throw down at her discretion. They know to get to the bag when she’s behind the plate.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
She goes for the ball and the tag. If that happens to involve tumbling, so be it. I love it. Every catcher needs a good SS and/or 2nd baseman. I have a good a good eye for raw talent. LOL
That was one of the two most talented travel teams DD played on. Every kid plays/played in college except one pitcher who just decided she was done. I believe there were 7 girls who were state champions from TN on that team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good, nice to see the post brought up discussions...
& video's ;)

Mar 13, 2017
I disagree with blocking everything. Most dirt pitches do not bounce up high and can be handled fielding short hops.
It is not misguided to use our glove.
It controls the ball to control the game.

As for the ball not bouncing high do you tell your catchers to check the surface in front of the plate? we’ve played in some dust bowls where anytime the ball hit the dirt it never left the dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott