Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pop time is when the ball reaches the catcher. Glove to glove. Or hitting the catcher to the infielders glove.
Add the farther behind the plate the ball travels the farther the throw.

Controlling the ball front is a shorter throw. Than letting the ball travel back further.
12" back equals a 24" farther throw.

Fielding the ball Transition into throw no down time.

Where as blocking pop time starts when ball hits catcher.....then involves finding ball TO pick up ball to then throw.

Also many times the ball hits catcher and deflects away. Losing more time.

* This is not an arguement it is a discussion.
These " Field & Fire" mechanics are tried and true!!!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At Long Beach State.
In 4 years so few ever came up into chest protecter. 2 wild pitches that stand out. Always used my glove and athletic mechanics.
Even fielded dirt pitches and threw out runners from my feet. That was more extreme.....extremely FUN !!

Would say 98% can use glove.
Takes training glove work.
Imagine the difference in catchers who train with there glove....
Equals RAD glovework.
VS. Those that never do.

How about this at camps hear college coaches running drills saying to attending random catchers even on plays at the plate
" we want you to field the ball not block it when comes in"

Have random catchers show up from attending there college camps with coaches feedback saying "we can see you can block, but we need you to throw runners out. Blocking pop time not fast enough"

That could be attribute to other factors also. Throwing mechanics and throw speed...
However its clear this is an important topic to pop time.

Glad to be able to bring it to discussion here.
For anyone interested.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Runner on 3rd late in the game and the score is tied. Yeah lean towards blocking. But I never liked the block everything with the chest protector with the knees going backwards. I know who RADcatcher is. My DD has taken lessons from her. She is the real deal.
With her teaching, the catcher does block but tries to use glove to catch the ball while blocking. If that makes sense. Remember a lot of catching came from baseball in which the angle of the ball hitting the dirt is much steeper and ball therefore bounces higher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pop time is when the ball reaches the catcher. Glove to glove. Or hitting the catcher to the infielders glove.
Add the farther behind the plate the ball travels the farther the throw.

Controlling the ball front is a shorter throw. Than letting the ball travel back further.
12" back equals a 24" farther throw.

Fielding the ball Transition into throw no down time.

Where as blocking pop time starts when ball hits catcher.....then involves finding ball TO pick up ball to then throw.

Also many times the ball hits catcher and deflects away. Losing more time.

* This is not an arguement it is a discussion.
These mechanics are tried and true!!!

IMO, it's situational.

With a runner at 3B, I don't care about minimizing pop time. I care most about keeping that runner at 3B. I want the catcher blocking everything in the dirt in that situation because it's a higher percentage move to keep the ball close and the runner at the base.

With a runner at 1B - pick it and chuck it!

All that said, I want my catcher to have all the tools at their disposal - blocking, picking, throwing from their feet, throwing from their knees...to every base. Fill the tool box with skills, and let the game situation dictate what they do. Additionally, what works best for one player might not be the most efficient approach for another.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Your trolling style is picking up lots of biters, me included.. I agree, very very advanced catchers with tons of experience should be trying to pick the ball. My feeling is that a catcher should be lights out at drop and block before learning to pick the ball. What I do know is that every ball that rattles around the backstop past my DD gets a unaproving look from the coach. My DD is taught to control the ball by having a soft block. The ball should be within arms reach and the time to throw is not long. It's not like a catchers is going to be throwing from her feet with a ball in the dirt...

I know I'm rambling, but I believe I'd classify the pick as the preferred approach as "depends"...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
To so cal Seth question how to train.

Call this knee's and posture.
Catcher on knee's.
Athletic strong posture
Shoulders slightly in front of knee's
( like athletic position on knee's)

Glove speed drill.
Strong arm out.
( not sideways)
Snap glove to ground.
Like turning a door knob.
Glove should make cave
( teeth down)
( not flat)
Strengthen arm.
Get quicker.

Now toss short hops
*underhand dirt pitches
*stand close for repetitions
Snap glove speed
( glove should make the cave)
( not flat pancake)

Repeat repeat repeat

Each time throwing hand reaches down to transition the ball.

To encourage good glove work....DO NOT pick up glove and scoop or turn over glove onto throwing hand.

Take ball out hand on top.
Like fielders field short hops or grounders.

Then go to catching position .
Work feet kick to strong
Posture with dirt pitch
With glove speed
*underhand dirt pitches
And transition taking ball out.

Repeat repeat repeat

Have young 9 year olds accomplish becomes dialed in befor ten years old.

Hope that was clear

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I'm going to bite. @RADcatcher, how do you teach catchers to improve their glove work to accomplish these goals?

49'ers suck

Sincerely,
CSUF grad

; )
Tee hee csuf nice!
1986 they won college world series. We were the only team to beat them twice in league.
Then faced them in first game
College World series.
They beat us by one run in 11th inning.
Maybe they will get back to title status again!!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Your trolling style is picking up lots of biters, me included.. I agree, very very advanced catchers with tons of experience should be trying to pick the ball. My feeling is that a catcher should be lights out at drop and block before learning to pick the ball. What I do know is that every ball that rattles around the backstop past my DD gets a unaproving look from the coach. My DD is taught to control the ball by having a soft block. The ball should be within arms reach and the time to throw is not long. It's not like a catchers is going to be throwing from her feet with a ball in the dirt...

I know I'm rambling, but I believe I'd classify the pick as the preferred approach as "depends"...
Yes i teach 'advanced' if thats what you would like to call it....
Advanced Mechanics to all ages! RAD

Its more than just mechanics,
its a philosophy of the game!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802