Responsibilty to throw pitch in dirt! or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
A miss in the dirt is okay with no runners on base. If the pitcher is skilled enough to keep runners off base then most won't need to miss in the dirt. I guess a drop ball pitcher may be different. I don't see many drop ball pitchers at the 18u top levels. I know Osterman is great but aside from her not too many at top levels. Do great pitchers have a drop? Yes but most keep it a foot off the ground to prevent dirt balls and to be honest skilled hitters won't go for a pitch in the dirt. Too easy to spot as out of the zone.
Most times the only 3 people who know what pitch is called are the coach, pitcher and catcher. Unless you have a ball in the dirt on your pitching chart no ball should be in the dirt, in my opinion. Some may say, what about on a 0-2 count? Na.. it could miss the dirt and hit the batters foot. Too much risk, too little reward. DD is a spinner and her bread and butter is the flip change. When she K's a batter with a change in the dirt I cringe... now we need the catcher to make a throw down. Why? Just spot the pitch 8 inches higher to get the swing and miss and allow your catcher to squeeze it!
I guess you've missed a lot of great college pitchers who threw or throw nasty nasty drop balls.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
I guess you've missed a lot of great college pitchers who threw or throw nasty nasty drop balls.

Yes. Probably. I'm not a fan of the drop guess thats probably why. Like the rise better and good change at the ankles. Drops seem to be pitches that capitalize on bad swings imo.

Feb 15, 2017
Yes. Probably. I'm not a fan of the drop guess thats probably why. Like the rise better and good change at the ankles. Drops seem to be pitches that capitalize on bad swings imo.
You see more home runs from missed rise balls than drop balls. And if you've got a 12-6 spin then even your fastball has some drop. Florida State and Bama are two programs that had pitchers that threw some great drops about others.

And a good drop can be thrown on three different levels.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Drop balls are fantastic when they can be located to drop further in front or deeper at the plate or behind.

Added bonus the over the top spins makes for a more reliable short hop when it hits the dirt.
While other pitches spin makes most dirt pitches carum and go left or right
( direction of spin moving away from catcher)
Drops in the dirt tend to bounce straight forward.

When they bounce farther in front they can bounce up higher into chest protector.
But even still because they stay straighter drops are the easier of the dirt pitches to handle. imo

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Have caught a pitcher who threw 95% drops.
Michelle Phillips.

Outstanding could bounce the pitch on a dime.
Batters would get frustrated over and over.
Same pitch. New location.
Often on purpose would bounce pitch in the dirt.

Really being a catcher who loves glove work and controlling the ball (and does.... :) )

Cant imagine dropping to block and get hit by pitch after pitch. No thank you!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Have caught a pitcher who threw 95% drops.
Michelle Phillips.
Outstanding could bounce the pitch on a dime.

Batters would get frustrated over and over.
Same pitch. New location.
Often on purpose would bounce pitch in the dirt.

Really being a catcher who loves glove work and controlling the ball (and does.... :) )

Cant imagine dropping to block and get hit by pitch after pitch. No thank you!
To add to this pitch location topic.
Yes we used a location indicator along with calling the drop pitch.
Yes there was a pitch it in the dirt indicator.
Also use on change ups.

Which location indicators essentially is the same with other pitches~
Rise
Curves
Change ups
Where you want a specific
in, out, up, down
Off by a little or off by more.

Drops simply have a boundary
'The dirt!'

If we USE THE DIRT
It will work for us~
Same as fielding grounders and short hops.
Defensively read the ball.
Adjust to make the play.
Includes seeing what the ball is doing and,
Using lateral and horizontal movements, just like a Fielder would to make the play.
Grounders to the infield should = reliable outs right?!
That would be pitching to create grounders for outs = use the dirt!

Catchers get to have an advantage!!!
*Already knowing the ball is coming our way!
*What type of spin will be on the ball!
( or supposed to be)
*What location its intended!
These prepare our mindset to an extent.
Still need to be ready for anything!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’m sure the drop isn’t a favorite pitch among many because you don’t see many K’s with that pitch. What you do see, though, are balls put in play to the IF which typically makes for reliable outs at the higher levels. IMO, a pitcher has a natural tendency to be really good at throwing either up pitches or down pitches so they stick with one or the other. However, you get a pitcher who can do throw both rise and drops very well, that pitcher will be hard to beat.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I’m sure the drop isn’t a favorite pitch among many

because you don’t see many K’s with that pitch. What you do see, though, are balls put in play to the IF which typically makes for reliable outs at the higher levels. IMO, a pitcher has a natural tendency to be really good at throwing either up pitches or down pitches so they stick with one or the other. However, you get a pitcher who can do throw both rise and drops very well, that pitcher will be hard to beat.
Hmmm? Its popular enough its taught and used.
Lol...Maybe not popular to hitters?!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
RAD, I’m agreeing with you about the drop being a great pitch to have with what I posted above. I just think many people think it’s just not as “sexy” as the rise, which is more of a strike out pitch. You know that‘s what us pitchers’ parents want to see more of! 😉

I’ll be honest, when my dd was younger I hated the drop. I hated catching for her as it would always catch me hard in the shins (yes, I know, shin guards). It also seemed difficult for the catchers at the younger ages to catch it and frame it for a strike (talking about 12U Little League). Also, my dd had natural tendencies to throw up pitches better, so we started focusing more on the rise at 14U and abandoned the drop.

We have now been reintroducing it over the past year. It should be game-ready for HS ball this season. The great thing about it is that she takes something off of it so it is more like an off-speed pitch which is slower than her other pitches but not as slow as her change. It should be very effective for her this year. Looking forward to seeing her use it in games.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2