Carrying equipment...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Both DD's and DS all carry/roll their own bags. Youngest DD is a catcher and we did get a rolling bag for this year. Only thing I carry is my chair to sit and watch the games from and maybe a cooler with extra water in case we're not going to be going back to the car. Coach also insists that the girls do all of their own clean-up of the dugout (run a lap for every empty water bottle left in the dugout).

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I do that too ! A lap for every piece of trash that I have to pick up after practice! Had one of the first practices of the season and both teams left trash for me to clean up. I bet after running a lap they won't leave anymore, especially after they find out that in the future it's a lap for every piece of trash I have to pick up.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Can you point out these coaches who have said such things? I also hear they will not look at a player with a mask. I hear a lot of things that college coaches will or will not do, but then I find out that is nothing more than folklore when I actually talk to coaches at clinics and ask them about such gibberish.

Sure....two former Stony Brook players (Division I)...a former catcher at a Division II college...a National Fastpitch Coaches Association 3 Star coach (highest number of stars is 4)...they also said who is going to carry the players equipment in college when Mom and Dad are not around!

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think it is a serious issue over who caries what, I know that the more grateful my players are when I pick something for them the more likely I am to do it again. As far as coaches caring who caries the equipment I think it can be very misleading you never know any situation so don't jump to a conclusion. If someone isn't carrying their own bag it isn't necessarily because they are lazy or spoiled.

Feb 21, 2010
Lexington, KY
Our girls generally carry their own bags, particularly at the beginning of the day...HOWEVER, as my daughter is a catcher, and by the end of a long hot day after 3 or 4 games behind the plate, I may carry her bag at the end of the day. Is that teaching her the wrong thing, or is it simply a courtesy? I look at it as a courtesy. She knows she is responsible for the bag and carries it 90-95% of the time. I've done it for other players too, not just my daughter. I think it's hard to talk in absolutes, i.e., parents should never do this, players should always do that...etc. My .02

May 14, 2010
I am a member of my team. Just because I don't hit, field or pitch doesn't mean that I am not a part of it. A key component of my leadership doctrine is to never appear too big/ important to do something you expect from someone else. I don't have to carry team equipment, but I do because it is my gear too. I cannot imagine standing by and watching the girls carry all of the team gear.

I take an active role in many practices also. I quite often backup 1B during infield practice. If I am doing it, that saves a player from being wasted standing over by the fence. I help pickup balls in the cage. I don't see those activities as any different than carrying equipment. I am working to help the team improve and accomplish our goals.

Imagine the example set for my girls when I jump out of the car at 6:30 am, grab 60lbs of gear and hustle to the diamond. Think any of them complain about the time, being tired, etc? Of course they do- they are 17 & 18 and girls at that. But they hustle their butt along to keep up with me and get rolling.

Finally, if a college coach doesn't recruit one of my girls because they see me carrying some team gear, then quite honestly I believe that coach is too stupid to coach one of my girls anyway.

I do not carry a player's gear, though.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
does anyone think that a college coach is carrying any gear for their players and why is a college coach too stupid to coach a girl whose equipment is being carried....most of these coaches might see a player 2-3 times and when they see a player having equipment carried for them they will think that that player must have some special privliges and not have to do what other emebers of the team do!!...at 41 years old when i play no one carries my catchers gear for me so why does it seema problem for young people to lug some equipment!!??

Aug 18, 2010
Oh pleeeassse! If they want to play the sport, they need to be prepared on and off the field. They need to be responsible now so they will be responsible later. The same parents that carry their girls equipment and the same parents that complain about playing time, or "little Susie's" boo-boo's. They need to be strong and responsible-they need to CARRY THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT. My daugther is a catcher and I have never once carried her "tools". When I am at work I carry my own "tools" and she needs to be prepared to do the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12