Carrying equipment...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Couple of interesting posts about carrying equipment, so perhaps we can see what everyone thinks.

I believe strongly that the game is for the kids and not the parents or coaches. Since it is THEIR game, and not mine, they are responsible for the equipment, not me.

At 12U and up, I don't believe coaches should touch the equipment. The players are responsible for getting the equipment out of the car, bringing it to the dugout or practice, putting it away correctly, and then taking it back to the car after the game.

What do you think?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Agree 10 zillion% and also feel that little Susie needs to be carrying her own bat bag. Girls can double up to help with all the stuff. That's why it's called teamwork.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
As a travel and HS team coach...if a college coach sees mommy and daddy carrying bags then you might as well stop playing!! First thing I tell parenst and players...players carry equipment and bags...parents cheer and watch!!

HS team - all newcomer players lug the equipment, no ifs, ands or buts about it. DD carries her own bat bag and a cooler with iced down drinks and frog tog thingies. Saw a new player's momma calling out to her last week, showing her that she had her bat bag. Totes it for her to every practice, every game and back. DD laughed and said, "Yeah, I'd like to see you do that for me! NOT!!"

DD's HS coach explains to the girls that it is THEIR responsibility to make sure that they have every possible thing they need before going to the field. She tells them that it's not their parents place to check behind them - they should be able to do that on their own.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I agree, to a point. Record books, scouting reports, previous game stats on opponents, spray and pitching charts. In my back pack carried by me touched by no one but me. The only other thing I carry to the games is a cooler full of bottled water and hand towels. It is the player and thier parents responsibility and in a perfect world I wouldn't worry about keeping the kids hydrated and cool. It ain't a perfect world so I cover the essentials. Oh and the bandaid box and bio-freeze, but my daughter carries that.

Jul 28, 2008
As a travel and HS team coach...if a college coach sees mommy and daddy carrying bags then you might as well stop playing!! First thing I tell parenst and players...players carry equipment and bags...parents cheer and watch!!

Can you point out these coaches who have said such things? I also hear they will not look at a player with a mask. I hear a lot of things that college coaches will or will not do, but then I find out that is nothing more than folklore when I actually talk to coaches at clinics and ask them about such gibberish.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have always made DD carry her equipment bag and hydration but this year I stopped making her carry the hydration as she took on a catchers equipment bag. For those who don't have a catch DD that includes. a batting helmet, catchers helmet, 2 gloves, shin guards, chest protector, bat(s) 2, rec specs, batting gloves, sliding pad and seeds.

Jul 12, 2010
Seen at tournaments - what looks like a rolling hotel luggage rack, or probably just a converted wagon with hanging rods built on, all the girls hang their loaded bags on the rack and then the coaches push it from field to field!! Makes the girls look like divas. I agree the girls should all be carrying their own equipment!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I really have never cared one little bit about who carries what. I have yet to see a young lady with empty hands.

As far as college coaches watching and caring - nope.

I do keep an extra eye on everyone's equipment. Too much stuff disappears in Phoenix, for example. Nothing can be left in a vehicle.

It is generally over 105 here. What do I care if dad wants to carry his DD's bag?

This has never been an issue with any of my daughter's teams. Who carried her bag all through HS? The BF and I was happy that he was there to carry stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Its as simple as 'hustle on and off the field'

12U are old enough to carry their own equipment. I instill it at 10U.
Travel players have wheeled bags for a reason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes