Captain U review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2013
DD looked over my shoulder one day at my email and saw an invite from the Captain U recruiting service and would like to create a profile. I am always skeptical of those. Any thoughts/experience on this service? Positive/Negatve definitely are both welcome.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
My DD created the basic free profile and since it didn't cost us anything I didn't have a problem with it. You can upload your DD's recruiting profile and video if you wish. My DD received 3 emails from college coaches expressing interest in her. They were small NAIA schools and one was a private Christian college in the Midwest that was affiliated with the National Christian College Athletics Association. I wouldn't pay for their service but using their free service doesn't hurt anything. Ultimately you can do a much better job marketing your own DD. Also using their free service you always get emails showing that a college coach found your DD but they won't tell you which college. I would assume that this means your daughter showed up in a search of some kind. If you use this I wouldn't expect any major schools to contact your DD as I would imagine this service is used by smaller schools. This is just my experience with this service. I hope this helps.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD had an account for a while. It was kind of nice to see the interest emails and messages. It is - I believe - mostly for smaller schools that don't have nearly the travel budgets of the big programs.

Ultimately, though, personal calls, emails, etc. and going to the camps of schools your DD is thinking about is probably a better way for her to look for interest from college coaches.

Dec 20, 2012
To be honest there is absolutely nothing Capt U can offer that you and dd can not do yourselves.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The one thing nice about sites like NCSA and Captian U are the free profile page. You just fill in the blanks. As well as a basic search feature where you can put in as many variables as you want to narrow down your perfect fit school. Like one with your major in a D2 level, in Ohio, with the sorority your sister pledged etc... Those parts are free. Where they make their money is when they do the contacting of schools for you and try to sell you to that program..... This can be easily done yourself, by simply emailing the coaches of choice, and giving them the link to your profile, a short story as to why you love their program, and a basic schedule of your teams summer.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD had to register there for a tournament last year so she had a basic profile page. After receiving a number of the "A coach found you," I became weak one night after a few beers and dropped the 20 bucks to see if it was worth it. After one month I cancelled the membership but did load DDs profile up with video, pictures and academics.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD had to register there for a tournament last year so she had a basic profile page. After receiving a number of the "A coach found you," I became weak one night after a few beers and dropped the 20 bucks to see if it was worth it. After one month I cancelled the membership but did load DDs profile up with video, pictures and academics.

I became weak one night after a few beers and dropped the 20 bucks to see if it was worth it
Sounds alot like how my Vegas trip started and then turned bad.....
200.gif

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We use the NCSA free profile page and our TB coach sent a Captain U link to the team and suggested we sign up before the first tournament- so we are using that free page too. I thought NCSA had more free stuff and was less expensive.

Captain U is ALWAYS sending the damn mail saying "some coach just discovered you here, click the link and find out who (after you pay for a membership fee)"

At this point where my daiughter is a freshman and hasn't contacted any schools, I'm pretty sure the only colleges that have "found" her are not doing so as part of the recruiting process.

Oct 18, 2009
I am good friends with a college coach of a small D2. Frankly - he doesnt use it unless someone contacts him through it and only to see who it is. I'm guessing the players get notified when he clicks on the link in the email.

He said its not really easy to use or search for players either so he doesnt use it to look for players.

I wouldnt spend money on it. Just email coaches directly. Those template emails from services also get ignored because it is assumed 100 other coaches got the same email with a different name. Personalized emails get their attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00