Can you afford it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
I have people ask me the same thing all the time. They also ask about the lack of non-softball related vacations, 8 hour round trip travel to practice every week, and my lack of "me" time. I just tell them it is her time now. It's not my time, it's hers. When she is out of the house, in college, then later starting her own family - it will be my time. But right now it is her time. There is no price tag that is higher than watching her do what she loves, watching her be successful and spending quality time with her. It will be over before I know it...

...exactly!

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I explained our business model to my wife the other day: We're going to invest about $100,000, per child, on about a 2.5% chance of having 20% of our their college paid for. (some liberties were taken in that math)

So, no, I can't afford it, when looking at it from that direction. But when looking at the time I/we get to spend with them, I'd give all I have. With one getting ready to graduate this year, I'm beginning to even more so covet my time with them. It is expensive, but it's an investment. Not so much for college, but rather investing in their future as parents. I hope my kids are able look back fondly at the time we have spent together. And hopefully they will be able to connect with their kids on the same level. So from that perspective, I can't afford not to.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Every time I get depressed about how much money we spend on softball, I think about my neighbor who's son plays ice hockey. Living in Atlanta there are no competitive local tournaments, so they are always flying every other weekend during the season.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Even though it's expensive and tough to manage time wise I doubt there is one of us here that would have it any other way. I am sure a lot of the ones that have had their DD move on from softball or move to the next level cherish all the time they spent with their DD. Sure I may spend $85,000 or more during this journey but I would gladly pay 10x's that for half of the time I have gotten to spend with my DD since we started as a 5yo seven years ago.

It will only get better. DD #2 just turned 5 and Saturday night after a 12 hour day at the ball park she looked at me as I tucked her in and asked when she gets to play softball. I am lucky to get a second trip through and look forward to the challenge of juggling my schedule to be there for both of them.

Sep 11, 2015
I can afford it but do I see spending that much money when I feel there are other solutions.....no. Until there are no other solutions, I won't pay that much money.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
As a Financial Advisor for the past 33 yrs, former motocrosser and avid dirt bike junkie (with no time to ride), founder of a non-profit charity that helps injured off road riders who have suffered spinal cord or traumatic brain injuries and the father of 13yr old twins deeply into comp ball as a pitcher and catcher this question is completely above my pay grade. My kids say all the time they wish they could race...I say, let's go play catch.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I truly know some that can't afford it, such as family of 6 that lives in a 5th wheel. I think that softball is a luxury that they should forego. But, it isn't my decision.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
AS I sit here and ponder this question, I find myself reflecting over the memories of the last 11 years that I have coached my DD through rec ball, TB, hitting, pitching, catching, throwing, fielding, traveling to college camps, NECC camps, TB tournaments, various hitting clinics and so on. She is now 16 and on the hunt to play college ball for her dream school. Some have said, if you took all of the money that was invested in all of these lessons, TB, college camps etc., that college would be paid for already if it was invested wisely. I say that the money was well spent when I look back on all of the great memories my family made together playing this awesome sport since we all find them truly priceless. So I ask you in return WM, what can't you afford to do when it comes to doing it right and making such wonderful family memories, lifelong friends and someday, hopefully, watch your DD play a game she loves at the skill level she wants to achieve? Money is money and if we stay healthy we can always make more. Yes we need it to keep a roof over our family's heads, food on the table, pay the utilities and keep gas in our cars. But honestly, can any single one of us say that the time and money hasn't been well invested for the return of the memories we have garnered throughout the process? For myself and my family, I can answer that with an emphatic "NO!" and we would do it all over again if given the chance.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Good topic, I would bet that for non softball families the money we spend on this sport would truly bring into question out sanity. Especially if your like my wife and I having 2 girls in travel ball. The time and money commitment leaves almost no time for anything else that is not softball related and no money if there were time for those things. However, I would ask those that question my sanity this question,,,,,, dads especially, when is the last time you had a meaningful 2-3 hour conversation with your teenage daughter one on one ?? I have those EVERY WEEK driving to and from travel practice. Radio off, chatter turned up. At out of town tournaments , chatting before going to bed at night no phones, tablets or tv. The drive back and forth to these "crazy expensive out of town tournaments" we all go to. I would ask how much is that time worth as opposed to other kids staring into some tv or tablet or phone all day and night mumbling at best in response to any conversation starters thrown their way. Or better yet, being the taxi service to the mall and back, as long as you don't speak in front of friends. You know, I can afford these trips, I can sacrifice my time to have these moments that aren't just expensive, they are priceless !! PLAY BALL

Jun 12, 2015
Our cars are 15 years old and have almost 200k and 300k miles. Bless you, Toyota. We live on a budget and spend most of our disposable income on softball. I very much doubt we'll ever regret it a bit. We're having a great time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi