Can you afford it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My buddy Joe has a son who got really involved in motorcross when he was a teenager. When Joe and I went fishing on Saturday, we got to talking about training and and personal coaches that his son had for motorcross and the costs . Because I know Joe's habits about spending money we got to talk about WarriorAngela's training and cost. The question he asked me was simple......

Can you afford it? As quickly as he said it, I replied back, "no, I cannot." Of course thinking more along the lines of funds. Then this got me thinking some more today. Theres so much to this question. What can I not afford? Is it time, or money. Perhaps both? Before I know it time will be gone. Money I can always recoup.

To do it right though what can you afford? Can you afford it?

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City
Yeah, motocross puts things in perspective as it's super expensive even at a low level.

The time aspect is a tangible limitation that we have. With 4 kids ages 7-13, either things have to be inequitable for them or we have to limit them...just because we can't get everyone everywhere they need to be. We held off of going to tryouts for a travel/travel team (like several big travel trips over the season) due to the limited time we have.

The money is another issue, but one that can be overcome. Can't make more time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Softball - even travel softball - is cheap compared with competitive dance or ice skating.

Time is about prioritizing. At the moment, supporting DD's softball journey is pretty high on the list. Way higher than yard work.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I can't think of a better way to spend my time, or my money. Can't get enough time in with my girls. I try not to think about how soon it'll be over with.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I try not to think about it lol. We have been lucky up to this year that our teams had successful fund raisers to cover the cost of winter indoor practices, uniforms, bags, helmets and things like that. This year she's on a team that doesn't plan on doing them, so it's all out of pocket. I don't spend a lot of money on hitting instructions. She gets a few each year just to keep her dialed in and get some new drills to work on. Most of her extra work just comes from her and I in the back yard. Since we have three kids we are on a bit of a budget with extracurricular spending. I am sooo glad she's not a pitcher or we would be living off of bread and water. Even trying to limit spending it adds up fast. Bats, gloves, shoes, and two or three camps each year adds up to a pretty significant chunk of change. Is it worth it....absolutely!

It could be worse....she could be into dance.

Jun 11, 2013
The only time I worry about being able to afford the time is when it causes me to not be able to something with my Son.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
For those of you with multiple kids you have my utmost respect and admiration of how you pull it off. With just one child it makes it easier for sure but even with that it seems like on top of 50+ hour work weeks it is easy to get lost with what is going on. I "shelved" my competitive fishing hobby/addiction when the decision was made by her to undertake travel ball. Could not be happier with that decision. The road and field time we have gotten to spend together is priceless for sure. Like most here there is always the $$$$ component but have been blessed that at this point the time component is the biggest hurdle. We travel an hour each way for pitching lesson and for team practice currently so that adds to the time side but I also look at as time we get to connect and talk and dissect practice or the game and try to impart some learning during those trips. Wouldn't trade that time for anything and fully realize that one day it will be over. Sure that day will come way too soon.

So to answer you question I would also say I don't think you can afford not to!!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I have people ask me the same thing all the time. They also ask about the lack of non-softball related vacations, 8 hour round trip travel to practice every week, and my lack of "me" time. I just tell them it is her time now. It's not my time, it's hers. When she is out of the house, in college, then later starting her own family - it will be my time. But right now it is her time. There is no price tag that is higher than watching her do what she loves, watching her be successful and spending quality time with her. It will be over before I know it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole