Can we start a dialog about food options at the fields?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Times have changed. This isn't little league anymore where you are in and out after one game. Tournament ball is DIFFERENT. You can be at the fields all day. Some times it's not easy or convenient to leave to get food. While, almost every tournament I've attended has had food options, most are absolutely awful.
As I said, times have changed. As travel parents, we are already spending hundreds, if not thousands on fees, lesson, equipment, and travel per month. So, I think it's fair to say that most of us would be willing to pay a couple bucks extra to not eat horsemeat hotdogs and hamburgers. I'm not asking for Wagyu beef, but can you spring for a Nathans or Hebrew National?
How can we fix this? Vendors, have some damn pride in what you serve. Would you serve this slop to your family? Tournament directors, do some vetting of your vendors, make them provide samples, and maybe survey the parents who attend these tournaments.
There has to be a better way than the current, right?
What food options would you like to see available?

Jun 18, 2023
imo, food trucks. There might be garbage local zoning laws about this stuff, but just outsource it. Or see if you've got a local deli/restaurant that's used to catering outdoor events. Better then spending weeks begging parents to sign for a snack stand window. I guess it depends on how much money you make from the snack stand..but seems like more hassle than it's worth from what I've seen so far.

I imagine you could get grubhub to deliver though, especially if you've got a decent sized order. "Third base dugout, field 7"

Apr 8, 2019
Ha! I feel your pain, but I doubt you'll see a change any time soon. It comes down to food safety and spoilage.
Supply, demand, profitability.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yep. I'd also add food safety and spoilage. The concession stands sell crap because crap is full of preservatives and they don't have to worry about food safety as much. You start adding things like vegetables to the menu and now you have stuff spoiling and you need to start following food safety protocols that are usually beyond the skill set of your average volunteer.

May 20, 2016
I've always found it ironic that with all the training my DD has done for softball over the years that you go to a tourny and their sampling is hamburgers, hot dogs, and cheese fries. Oh and one bruised apple in the corner.

edit: DD is a vegetarian so always bring our own food.

Feb 15, 2017
I've always found it ironic that with all the training my DD has done for softball over the years that you go to a tourny and their sampling is hamburgers, hot dogs, and cheese fries. Oh and one bruised apple in the corner.

edit: DD is a vegetarian so always bring our own food.
When they had the Olympic teams in Clearwater the Japanese team was loaded down with fruit. The US team gummy bears and Welch's fruit chews.

Apr 14, 2022
I rank all the high schools in the state (that I've visited) by their popcorn and/or nachos. Some of the best would surprise you. I think we have the best nachos...when the hotdog sauce is on-point.
It irks me high schools in my area do not take credit card.

Feb 15, 2017
I rank all the high schools in the state (that I've visited) by their popcorn and/or nachos. Some of the best would surprise you. I think we have the best nachos...when the hotdog sauce is on-point.
Bought a popcorn machine because I was tired of not having great popcorn at home.. As good as any ballpark. Use Bulk palm oil and popcorn and the magic flavorcol. . The prepackaged packs don't come nearly as close in flavor.

May 10, 2019
Big League Dreams fields doesn't let outside food in. And they have a large variety of options at indoor vendor. But be prepared to pay higher price for the different level of option Foods they have.
Example They serve what's considered a better hot dog but it is a higher price 🤷‍♀️
I'm at an age that I'm ok paying a few dollars more for something a little less dog-meaty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi