Can we skip fall ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Teams always need a quality pitcher. Even if you shut her down completely and not go on the tryout circuit, teams will be posting constantly looking for a pitcher. You will have your choice of teams in Dec/Jan if she is really a good pitcher.

Mar 11, 2009
Based on experience with several 12u highly competitive pitchers that got injured(shoulder, elbow, and back injuries). I say shut her down for three months and don't even worry about it. At her age, she has plenty of time to develop skills, grow and get stronger. Don't take the warning signs lightly from what her body is telling her with soreness and what the Dr. is saying. The earlier you do it the better. When she does get back to pitching, I say have her on a pitch count similar to boys little league and only let her throw fastball's and change ups as long as you can get away with it. Trust me in the long run it will pay off!
Good luck.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Teams always need a quality pitcher. Even if you shut her down completely and not go on the tryout circuit, teams will be posting constantly looking for a pitcher. You will have your choice of teams in Dec/Jan if she is really a good pitcher.

This. And this will give you time to check out all of the teams so that you don't make a panicked decision when she returns.

Nov 18, 2013
I'm surprised it took several visits to shut her down and he's still letting her throw overhand. When DD showed signs of overuse they shut her down completely while it healed. Before letting her back to softball they had her stretching and strengthening excersises for a few weeks. All in all she was out about two months.

Your case might be completely different, but it might not hurt to get a second opinion.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Another vote for skipping fall ball. After three years of travel ball, I am sure she needs a break anyway. The arm injury/soreness just reinforces the need for a break.

Feb 21, 2012
Taking the fall off to heal from an injury will not be perceived negatively.

If you are worried about not finding a team, talk to the coach of a team you think she would have made and see if they will hold a spot for her. If they were going to keep 12, then keeping 11 is probably not a big deal, it would add more at bats for the rest of the players in the fall.

I would say take care of her health as the #1 priority.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs