Camcorders and software

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2008
I'm interested in hearing what makes/models of camcorders do you members recommend for recording fast action movement, and programs for editting. Price is important naturally.

Sep 17, 2009
An unconventional answer: use your smartphone, especially if you have an iPhone or newer Android model. There's some nice apps out there that can even let you add lines, etc.. Even without that, it's very easy to upload directly to YouTube from most phones.

I've used a Flip camera in the past and managing the process of getting videos on/off is a hassle. For light use, use your smartphone.

If you've got a phone anyway, then it's free (watch your data usage though, maybe upload on wi-fi at home).

Jun 24, 2009
Kodak Playsport $125. 60fps just plug into computer and download.Did I mention water resistant up to ten feet deep?

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
Sorry to disagree with the Playsport.

For use at the ballfield I USE the Kodak ZI8, not the Playsport. I have had both. Both will record 720p/60fps and I like the Playsport MUCH better for a lot of reasons but the ZI8 allows for playback one frame at a time. The Playsport only allows for varable speed slow motion play back. That is the deal. You want to be able to capture a 1 or 2 second movement and then not just play it back in slow motion but one frame at a time.

Also, Right View Pro has an Apple and an Android apps that are 9 bucks. The problem is that there are NO Apple or Android smartphones or tablets that will record at 60fps. The blackberry tablet will but no RVP app and there are reported to be some Android smartphone with 60fps video capture comeing soon... but not here yet. I have read blogs about jailbreaking the Iphone and getting 60fps but little too much trouble. Without 60fps video the RVP apps are good but because of the models and the compare features but if you know what you are looking for your better off with the ZI8.

sorry for the long post but i am really in to video analysis.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Nothing beats the Casio line of 30fps of pictures and 210fps and 420fps slow motion video as long as your outdoors, you need lots of light. A free Video analysis Kinovea can do about anything RVP and is free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877